Are all three of these Dutch Bantams?

DuckiesGarden

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All! I've got three little banty chickens that I traded some muscovy ducks for last year and now the two that were chicks when I got them are all grown up and sitting on their own eggs right now. The rooster I got was already full grown when he came with them ( I also had the mother hen which looked just like the one below named Ginger but unfortunately I lost her to a predator :( ) Anyway, the guy I traded with didn't know what kind of bantams they were and I'm assuming that they're Dutch just from looking at pictures. Can anyone confirm that they are in fact Dutch? Or know what they are if not? Could they just be mixed?I can't find a picture of a Dutch rooster that matches mine so I'm not sure about him either. Any opinions are appreciated greatly! Here's some pics:

Georgie Peach Pickles the rooster

Ginger and Pickles Ginger

They are not Dutch. I'd say he gave you Old English Bantams that have been mixing their colors.

I hadn't considered the OEG bantams just because mine didn't seem to have that tall,upright stance. These are the first banty chickens I've ever had so I'm wanting to learn about them but didn't know where to start breedwise. So you think they're 100% OEG just the wrong colors right? They've been sitting on two clutches of eggs for about 3 weeks or so and now I'm wondering what colors will the chicks be then? Do any have a chance of being a "right" color that I could single out for breeding later or are they too far gone? I'll have to find an OEG page and compare.

It's very possible they've been mixed with another bantam breed, like Easter Eggers, but the OEGB is the primary ingredient here, otherwise they'd have a different comb.

If you are trying to start a breeding program, starting with mixed birds is a good way to give yourself migrains.

It's funny you said that about the easter eggers, that was the first guess we made when we got them because of the chicks coloring but, like you said, the combs weren't right. I think you're right about the headaches! I'll probably skip on breeding them and maybe look into some reliable stock for that. I'm really enjoying these little birds and wouldn't mind adding some more of a different breed also. Thanks a bunch for your help! I'm glad I got some feedback from someone who's knowledgable about the breed!

Back
Top Bottom