are all tsc chicks straight run?

KathrynB

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Are all tsc chicks straight run? I live in an area where I cant have rooster(noise ordinance) and id rather not spend 100 dollars in online chickens for my first flock.

At least in southern NY state they have pullets as well as straight runs. I know I've heard some poor reviews of TSC around here, but I'll share this story with you: on Sunday, my husband and I went to our favorite TSC, and witnessed a crowd of people around the chick set up. Since we were there to look at the chicks anyway we wandered over. The dept. manager was having a hard time explaining that he couldn't just sell one chick, even if it was injured- since the chicks were getting too big to be all together in the cages, they were starting to peck and draw blood from the emerging pin feathers. But he said that he could give us, the group surrounding, a deal on the standard 6 chicks. DH spoke up after there was no response from the crowd and asked what kind of deal, if we took all 32 of them. The dept. manager told us if we took all, it would be a quarter a bird! Now, I don't know if that is allowed by the company, or SOP, but we now have 32 chicks! Oh, and to keep with the topic, these are 32 pullets.
roll.png

I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. My local TSC, (Woodstock, Va.), carries "Straight Run" chicks and "Pullets" of different breeds. They are kept in separate containers by breed, straight run and pullets. You pay less for straight run chicks.

As for the noise ordinance in your area.....most areas have an ordinance, if you live close to a township, but the ordinance begins at a certain hour of the day. You might check to see if this is true in your area. The ordinance in my area begins at 8pm. My chickens are roosting at that time of the evening so there's no crowing going on from my roo....lol.

Good luck

My TSC (Southwest GA) usually has red pullets, and all the others (special of the week, cornishX, and bantam, and ducks) are staight run. Sometimes there a few other pullets, I think there where some Dominiques and White Leghorns amond the "Red Pullets" today when I went. The sexed pullets are also more expensive. Maybe you could ask if you could add a special order to their next shipment for some sexlinks? that way you'd get pullets forsure. :) I don't know what the Mins amd Maxs are for special ordering though, doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

Are all tsc chicks straight run? I live in an area where I cant have rooster(noise ordinance) and id rather not spend 100 dollars in online chickens for my first flock.

No, many TSC's will also get in Black Sexlinks, Golden Comets, RIR and Asa Browns that are pullets. I have 4 TSC's that are not too far from home and they normally get different breeds besides the normal Cornish X, Ducks, Bantams. Go online to tractorsuppy.com and find the stores in your area and call to find out what they got in for chicks.

At least in southern NY state they have pullets as well as straight runs. I know I've heard some poor reviews of TSC around here, but I'll share this story with you: on Sunday, my husband and I went to our favorite TSC, and witnessed a crowd of people around the chick set up. Since we were there to look at the chicks anyway we wandered over. The dept. manager was having a hard time explaining that he couldn't just sell one chick, even if it was injured- since the chicks were getting too big to be all together in the cages, they were starting to peck and draw blood from the emerging pin feathers. But he said that he could give us, the group surrounding, a deal on the standard 6 chicks. DH spoke up after there was no response from the crowd and asked what kind of deal, if we took all 32 of them. The dept. manager told us if we took all, it would be a quarter a bird! Now, I don't know if that is allowed by the company, or SOP, but we now have 32 chicks! Oh, and to keep with the topic, these are 32 pullets.
roll.png

Gee and I thought I got a deal! I think the stores have to move them and it's up to manager to set clearance price. They can't return chicks to the hatchery and don't want injured chicks on display. I got week old Orpingtons at 1/2 price at TSC a few weeks ago. They were straight run but, they let me pick the ones I wanted so, I chose 7 pullets and 1 roo for $1 each.

I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. My local TSC, (Woodstock, Va.), carries "Straight Run" chicks and "Pullets" of different breeds. They are kept in separate containers by breed, straight run and pullets. You pay less for straight run chicks.

As for the noise ordinance in your area.....most areas have an ordinance, if you live close to a township, but the ordinance begins at a certain hour of the day. You might check to see if this is true in your area. The ordinance in my area begins at 8pm. My chickens are roosting at that time of the evening so there's no crowing going on from my roo....lol.

Good luck

thank you i will definatly check on the times, I bought 6 chicks at tsc that were in the pullets cages so i really hope that a roo didnt sneak in there(lol) because im already attached to them. I went to tsc and bought 3 red sex links and 3 light brahmas they said they were sexed, but i have no chicken experiance so i cant be sure lol.

This sounds strange but if you take a chick, turn it on its back and place it in the palm of your hand, being careful not to drop it, you can tell the sex this way.........if the chick kicks its legs frantically for a few seconds and then lies still, it's a female. Roos will kick frantically non-stop.

Like I said, it sounds strange but it does work.

I have 15 red sex link hens. It was easy to sex them as the females are a reddish color at birth and the males are an off-white color at birth.

Back
Top Bottom