Are all young roosters this way ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emjay, Dec 12, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    so, silly me, kept 1 roo out of the 7 roo babes I had. I kept him for the purpose of protection of the girls when let out to free range when they get older. and for the potential of fertile eggs when I need to replenish my egg laying flock.

1) he's got a very very loud crow, ugh.

2) he's now feeling like he's in the 'mood', but, he's being a jerk. He's grabbing the girls by their necks from the front and holding on, as they are freaking out, pulling back to get away from him. As they are NOT in the 'mood' just yet.

I don't recall my main roo being this way when he was this ones age. I sure hope he figures it out, poor girls.

are most up and coming sire roos this obnoxiously clueless??

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Young roosters can be a little rough. As they get older they learn to be more gentlemanly, but he's in puberty & that is a rough time for all.

We went through a string of 2nd roosters - we wanted the pretty one - but he was too loud. Finally kept the silkie- he's quiet & not mean at all.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Those awkward teen years! (or weeks in the roos case)

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

5. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    teen years it does seem for sure !!!!

he also went through a real gangly stage . I hope his voice deepens a bit, oh,but, hey, once again, similar to teen puberty, that too will happen.

whew.

chickens really are quite the characters. I hope for the girls sakes , he figures it out sooner then later. Hopefully I get the same happy ending with this one as you did Chicken.Lytle

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try seperating him from the pullets until he is more mature and they are more receptive. If he is not actually hurting him you can just tolerate the chaos.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by