Are Americauna's slow to begin laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmtillman, Sep 17, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

My 21 hens are all exactly 23 weeks old....I have Buff O, Leghorns, Dom, Americanua's and RIR. All of my hens are now laying, except for the Amer. Have been since about 20 weeks. Are the Amer. slower to lay ? I keep looking for that green or blue egg and my patience is about exhausted [​IMG] !! I am getting about 6-8 eggs daily from these hen that are laying so I cant complain, I know....[​IMG]
    But to see a blue or green egg will be the highlight of this entire venture, I think!!
    Thanks in advance for any input !! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Mine weren't- my first egg was a green one [​IMG]

3. lbug

lbug Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Danville, California
    Quote:I have one 24 week old ameraucana that has not layed any eggs yet. She doesn't look ready either. I mean her tiny comb is not red at all. I'm thinking in another 3-4wks???? hopefully!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    One of mine laid her first egg at a reasonable age. The other took forever! She was a real late bloomer.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes they are. I wouldn`t be concerned. Just a point of trivia, I once had a full blooded Araucana hen that layed white eggs. Araucanas are the original colored egg breed from which Americanas and EE`s are descended.

To determine if a hen or pullet is laying, feel the pelvic bones under the vent. If you are able to place at least 2 fingertips between the bones, the pullet is laying. Hens will have at room for at least 3 fingertips beween the bones when laying. Similar to a womans pelvic bones opening up for childbirth, excepth they stay apart longer due to a hen laying more often. Hope this helps.....Pop

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Slowwwww, you ask??------ My Ameraucana girls are 28 weeks old and not one egg.. My EE are 24 weeks old and they haven't laid a single egg either...Yes, I would say very slow... [​IMG]

7. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    My EE'r started laying at 18 weeks. She was my first layer, too.

8. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks to all of you for the great input ...I will just be patient and wait it out ...but as soon as I get that first green or blue egg I am gonna be sooooooo [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If these are hatchery easter eggers, they could be laying and you just don't know it. They sometimes lay brown eggs.

My birds usually start laying between 24-26 weeks.

10. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Depending on where you got your chicks, they could be EE's. I have 3 EE pullets that are 25 weeks old and none of them are laying. Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by