Are Americauna's slow to begin laying?

mmtillman

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Southwest MO near the ARK line
My 21 hens are all exactly 23 weeks old....I have Buff O, Leghorns, Dom, Americanua's and RIR. All of my hens are now laying, except for the Amer. Have been since about 20 weeks. Are the Amer. slower to lay ? I keep looking for that green or blue egg and my patience is about exhausted
barnie.gif
!! I am getting about 6-8 eggs daily from these hen that are laying so I cant complain, I know....
roll.png

But to see a blue or green egg will be the highlight of this entire venture, I think!!
Thanks in advance for any input !!
smile.png
frow.gif

Quote:
I have one 24 week old ameraucana that has not layed any eggs yet. She doesn't look ready either. I mean her tiny comb is not red at all. I'm thinking in another 3-4wks???? hopefully!!!!
fl.gif

40351_019.jpg

Sometimes they are. I wouldn`t be concerned. Just a point of trivia, I once had a full blooded Araucana hen that layed white eggs. Araucanas are the original colored egg breed from which Americanas and EE`s are descended.

To determine if a hen or pullet is laying, feel the pelvic bones under the vent. If you are able to place at least 2 fingertips between the bones, the pullet is laying. Hens will have at room for at least 3 fingertips beween the bones when laying. Similar to a womans pelvic bones opening up for childbirth, excepth they stay apart longer due to a hen laying more often. Hope this helps.....Pop

Slowwwww, you ask??------ My Ameraucana girls are 28 weeks old and not one egg.. My EE are 24 weeks old and they haven't laid a single egg either...Yes, I would say very slow...
wink.png

If these are hatchery easter eggers, they could be laying and you just don't know it. They sometimes lay brown eggs.

My birds usually start laying between 24-26 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom