1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are ants ok for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by littlechicks02, Dec 9, 2015.

1. littlechicks02

littlechicks02 Out Of The Brooder

Heyo, I have got my chicken gangsters free ranging and there is a huge ant (green ant Australia) nest and they are obsessed with eating them up, and I know for a fact that chickens do not have teeth so are they okay with those live ants in them?? They have access to grit, which I throw generously over their coop yard. Thanks!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Unless your green ants down under are poisonous there is no downside to the birds eating them. Mine go nuts when I turn over a rock to expose a nest. They really like the eggs.

Grit doesn't need to be supplied generously. If the birds have the proper size stone it stays in the gizzard for a very long time. Smaller stone pass quickly but a few the proper size will last and last. Mine forage for their own stone, I don't supply any until the ground freezes and then it's a handful or two every two weeks for about 10 birds. I get that from the driveway into small pail pre ice over.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by