are any hens quiet???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LindsayB, Dec 31, 2008.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Are there any breeds that are especially docile and quiet? We had to rehome our sex links b/c they were so loud. they would yell ALL day even if they weren't laying an egg... now all we have is an easter egger and a wyandotte (that is 9 months and still hasn't laid an egg...) any ideas on breeds? or is it just the hens personality?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    LOL... my sex-link is my quietest girl!

None of my girls is particularly noisy. They don't do the "egg song" and are pretty quiet over all.

BR - a "honker". After she lays an egg I can hear her out in the coop going "honk HOOOONK honnnnk hhhhonnnnnkk". I cracks me up. She goes "brrrak" every once in a while but not so much that it's annoying.

RIR - she's my cackler: brrrrrraaaaakkkk.... bbbrrrrraaaaaakkk

My banty cochin only make noise if she's disturbed (loud car driving past) or if she can't find the others. She's the quietest by FAR.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Between my ducks non stop yacking and the roos snide comments my hens rarely get a word in edgewise. [​IMG]

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, my chickens are quiet, I never even hear them!

5. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

my cochin bantams are VERY quiet...even as chicks, they are very quiet. I have 4 right beside me..and I can hear the bats outside over them.

6. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:What breed(s) do you have?

7. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    They are quiet. Unless you scare them. The most vocal is my unknown breed. In my area all I ever hear is neighbors dogs barking all night. I much rather hear my chickens, which is rarely. Unless they look over my fence , I doubt they would even know I had chickens.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My buff brahmas are extremely quiet. They only time I hear a peep out of them is when they sing at night on their roosts. Their light brahma sisters on the other hand always have to be saying something. If I leave the coop area without leaving a treat behind they'll follow me and complain loudly.

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have 2 mille fleur d'uccles and they are the quietest of all my chickens. Very mellow too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by