Are any Marans sex-linked? <photo>

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MicMoo, Jul 26, 2010.

1. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    We put some Marans eggs under our broody frizzle and she hatched out three of them. Two are white, the third has a yellow tinge. Any chance Marans are sex-linked? I believe they are Black Marans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Those are not black copper Marans. Black Marans are....well, BLACK.

Cuckoo Marans are sexlinked in the same way that Barred Rocks and Dominiques are, whiter striped males and blacker striped females, but the solid Black Copper Marans are best judged by comb size at 3 to 5 weeks of age.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Blue and wheaton are your only possibility here.. The blue are actually splash.... The yellow.. possible wheaton.. can't see leg color but that is the best guess for the view available.. NOT BLACK>>>>> NO WAY. NOT SEXLINKED>>>NO WAY

4. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Sounds like (as usual) I don't know what I've got. I do know they hatched from very, very dark brown eggs. When I got their 'mother' I was told she and her sisters were all Easter Eggers but turns out they are probably some kind of a Cochin/Silkie mix.

Thanks for the info!
    -Michael

5. TsaLaGi Acres

TsaLaGi Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Quote:If you post pictures of them, I'm sure someone here will be glad to try and help figure out what kind they are. Personally I LOVE pic's and those babies...they have problems..I think they got double dosed with the cute gene!!! Might want to send them this way [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by