Are any of these alive? (PICS INCLUDED)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BaileyBoy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. BaileyBoy

BaileyBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    Please tell me if any of these are alive and developing. It is day 20 of incubation. If they are thanks, if not, what should i do and should i wait

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

)[​IMG]

5[​IMG]

)[​IMG]

2. Cheyen

Cheyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Those are most definitely duds. At 20 days of incubation, there's absolutely nothing to be done other than get new eggs. I would recommend tossing those out before they start to weep and stink up your incubator. Sorry for the wasted time/effort. It sucks to get duds. [​IMG]

3. BaileyBoy

Feb 8, 2014
    Are you sure its not worth waiting though cuz i don't smell anything

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    They are definately duds. Sorry not much you can do except toss them and start over.

5. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    No, it's not worth waiting. Chicken eggs take 21 days to fully develope. If they haven't shown any signs yet, there's no point- they're infertile.

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Please don't go by me because I am new at this, and I hope I am wrong, but for day 20, I don't think there is enough growth. I think three and six look like they have more in them, so maybe.....I wouldn't do anything. Wait for someone with more knowledge to answer you and keep proceeding and hope....I am seeing differences in the eggs from each other.
    When day did you do your first candling, and what changes can you see since then?
    I hope someone gives you better news.

7. BaileyBoy

Feb 8, 2014
    I just did a float test on one of them and it did exactly what is was supposed to do, only the air cell floated which means its alive. Do you think its alive now? and also did i just kill it?

8. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I will agree a few of them look like they have some slight veining, waiting will not change anything. Incubating eggs is not the same as baking a cake. It will not finish cooking just because you leave it in the oven longer. At 21 days, the eggs are no longer viable, and should be taken care of if you have any other eggs in the incubator, to prevent the spread of harmful bacteria. Here's a helpful chart explaining what eggs should look like at different stages of candling. I realize it says "duck" in the picture, but it's the exact same with chickens, only they take 21 days, not 28.

[​IMG]

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but incubation is a learning process. Once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun to see the different stages of development, and a very rewarding experience! Good luck with the next batch. [​IMG]

9. Cheyen

Sep 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    The float test does not verify viability. It is used to approximate the age of the egg. People use it to see if the egg has a large enough air cell to sustain an embryo. If the air cell is large enough, the egg floats. But that does not mean the egg is fertile. If you really want to see if you got duds, crack one open and look for a white "bullseye" in the yolk. All egg yolks have a white dot, but if it's fertile that dot will have a ring around it.

10. BaileyBoy

Feb 8, 2014
    thank you but did you see what i said about the float test

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by