Are any of these breeds good broodies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Dec 29, 2007.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Marans, EE's, Salmon Favorrels, Wyndotte's,or Amerucanas ?

I have all of these and I would love to hatch some Marans, Orphington, Salmon Favvorel, Or Amerucana Eggs.

Thanks Henry

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  2. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Most strains of Marans are good broody's. Not sure about the others tho.

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    What about my Hatchery Marans?

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    anyone know?

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Its hit or miss with the EEs, it depends on the strain and what breeds they have in their ancestry. Some hatcheries have put a bit of leghorn in their flocks to up the egg production, and leghorns are nonsetters. With wyandottes SL, GL and white varieties are more production driven and so have less of a drive to set, while the BL and others have been bred for looks and tend to set a bit more. It all depends on the particular strain. I'm not sure about the others.

6. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I can't guarantee it, but I've been told that orphintons are pretty broody, and going from one of my hens it seems to be true. I got them as day olds in March; one hen has gone broody three times and one hen once, the other one hasn't shown any sign of it. Hope it helps.
    Liz
    Ooops, misread your post and just noticed that Orps are one of the breeds your hoping to hatch. Sorry![​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    What about Amerucanas and Favvorels?

Thanks for you Help Henry

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I started out with hatchery marans and 2 out of 5 went broody. They are very good setters,calm and determined. They also keep a clean nest. My broodies pushed out the empty shells once the chicks hatched.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

One of my Marans hens insisted in setting pretty much all last summer. I couldn't break her out her broodiness no matter what I did. I would have let her have some eggs, but my roo was "out of commision" so I didn't have any fertilized eggs.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Faverolles on most cases are not broody however they do pop up now and then. If they are not broody, they are good with chicks and young stock in my case. I never had any broodies in my flock but heard others had one or two that did.

Marans are known to be broody but its the luck of the draw which pullet will do so.

To get a fool proof broody, most Silkies are the best ones around. Then Buff Orpingtons will do too.

As for Amercuanas, I must say for my own bantams, they do get broody and then the following year, they didnt become broody at all. These were not Easter Egger bantams but out of exhibition lines.

I got a friend that has a Black Australorp hen at her first year, she insisted to be broody and hatched out several clutches of eggs but a very poor momma to care for them(she didnt want anything to do with them nor does she know how to care for them after they all hatched). All she did from spring to fall, was to give her eggs, she will incubate those and hatch them out and she would take the chicks out and raise them under the lights. So that is a rare case but it does happen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by