are any of these canning jars?

~*B*~

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Ohio
or ok to use for canning? if not are any ok to use for canning?
what about storing dry herbs and such in? also one or two say anchorhocking on
them are they canning? i didnt know they made canning jars.
thx

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

these are not canning jars but are these usable at all?
019.jpg

020.jpg

Some folks advise not to can those. I know my mother did and it didn't hurt us but not sure why!

Things do have changed alot since then!

My mom used to try to use the Miracle Whip jars, but in recent years, has found them to be to 'thin'. The glass would break too easily.

You don't want to use the pickle, mayo or mustard jars in a pressure canner, they will break under the heat and pressure. You can use them in a hot water bath however.

We have found even with new canning jars after years of canning they will break now and then in the pressure canner.

Steve in NC

I use mayo, miracle whip, and mustard jars for water bath canning. Steve is right - they often won't hold up to pressure canning.

Not sure about your Anchor Hocking question. I don't think they ever produced canning jars.

I'm one of those that only uses canning jars for any canning. I have been blessed with an abundance of canning jars so I've never had to scramble for enough.

I do know many people that have successfully canned for years using the jars mentioned by Steve and Kim in the hot water bath.

prairiegirl

I do use the miracle whip jars in the water bath process, but found they are wonderful for storing stuff in the freezers and pantry shelves. Love the fact they come with the mayo and are easy to clean and if one gets broken, it doesn't upset me like the canning jars do!!

I would be hesitant to use them. However, they would be fine for storing dried herbs, tomatoes, fruit, things like that. Just make sure they are all dried completely before sealing them in there.

Anchor Hocking made canning jars years ago. Some of the first. It really isn't advisable to use the antique jars for canning. It will be really hard to find lids that seal correctly.

I would go ahead and spend the money (or trade) for some newer canning jars and lids. Save them, reuse them next year. If you give some canned stuff to friends and family, ask that they return the jars to you, so you have a basic stock of them, and just have to buy the lids.

Good luck!

Shelly

My grandmother used mayo jars all the time but DH & I never do. We worry about the seals not fitting properly even though others use them and have no problems. We stick strictly with regular canning jars.

I've used them for water bath canning, but I use the nonstandard mouths to store coffee, beans, rice, etc. I also use them for storing home dried fruit in the freezer, and leftover sauces in the fridge.
They're also great for when you take meals to folks. Then you don't need to ask for the jar back.

Back
Top Bottom