1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are any of these hens Roosters???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tpodo, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Tpodo

Tpodo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Hello,

I have a total of 5 chickens in my backyard. I bought 4 of them as chicks begining in April and the Silver Laced Wyndotte a month later. Lately in the morning I am hearing a short screaching type of noise and I am not sure which one it is coming from...I have been getting 4 eggs a day for about 2 months now and would have thought all would be laying by now. This is my first time to raise chickens so I am clueless. Can anyone tell me if any of these 3 are roosters by looking at a picture? My daughter claims the noise is coming from the SLW,which also seems to seperate itself from the group a lot, and she spends most of the time with them. The only agressive one is the red one in the first photo. Any help would be great! I live in a neighborhood so I can not have a roo!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    All look like hens to me.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    all hens

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can you take a better pic of that first bird? A close profile shot would work.

Where did you get the red birds? At first glance they look like sex links but that first one looks more like a second generation sex link, which means you can't sex by color. It doesn't look especially roo-ish, but if any of them are roos that's my bet. The wyandotte is absolutely a hen.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    They're all girls. You're probably hearing either squabbles or they are seeing something in the morning that upsets them (cat prowling around the coop, a squirrel on the fence. etc).

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those are all hens with the first and last being red sex links

7. Tpodo

Tpodo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Okay, Here are better pictures of the first chicken, the more aggressive one of the bunch. If the SLW is definately a hen, should it be laying by now if it was hatched in late April/early May? I get 4 eggs a day with 3 eggs every 4th day or so...I just would have thought they would all be laying by now. Are SLW known to be louder? I have always had a bit of concern about this chicken being a rooster since its personality was always so different than its melow friendly room mates... Maybe its just a fiesty hen.[​IMG] Thanks for everyone's help, I am earning new things every day and I absolutely love these guys!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tpodo

Tpodo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Oh, I almost forgot. I got the reds from Tractor Supply out of a group that was supposed to be Egg Laying Pullets...They had a list of possible breeds but they weren't split...I just assumed all the reds were sex-link...however, the one in the above picture has a weird pattern on her chest that the others don't.

9. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    She looks like she has some leghorn in her with that large comb. Still thinking girl..

10. momsp8

momsp8 New Egg

Oct 9, 2012
    The red and white ones look like Isa Browns to me, a blend of RIR and Rhode Island White. A kind of sex link. Do they have huge eggs, like Jumbo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by