Are any of you different then your other friends?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by patnjess, May 16, 2010.

1. patnjess

patnjess Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    I was noticing that I am way different. We don't live in a big city persay, but I'm just different.

The always look nice, have just 2 kids, would never consider having the "pets" i have. The seem to always be dressed nice to go to the store, with makeup on, and say the never have time for anything, they are to busy.

And here i am with 6 kids at home, have a huge garden, chickens, turkeys, and now (ducks) not to mention non feathered pets. I'm usually without makeup, unless we are at church. Don't give a hoot about clothes, and sometimes just dirty from working with the chickens/yard and will go right to the store like that, I don't care!

I noticed this when 2 friends stopped by yesterday, I had a naked kid in the kiddie pool (which I don't think they would do) surronded by my chickens, in my garden, hair pulled back and covered with DE. Then I went to my moms, weeded her garden, and then went to the store.

My friends made a comment though that they would be screwed if all the luxuries were taken away and they had to live with just what they know, but I would probably make it. Didn't know how to take that one.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I hear you...I feel the same.. I went to the hardware store with my clothes covered in dust poop and cobwebs today.. I dont realy care what others think of the way I look dress...or the fact that I have brooders in my house and ducks everywhere.

I am happy - and surrounded by things that make me happy. Putting on make-up, shopping for expensive fashion or going out to restraunts is not my thing. I have too much to do looking after a house a child and the ducks to ever get my nails done or some other kind of pampering.

I do feel different...but at least I am not bright pink hair- tattoos on face and body piercings everywhere differnet.

3. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Songster

Mar 21, 2010
    I think that's the difference between acquaintances and friends. We have a lot of acquaintances due to the kids and their friends that fit the relationship you describe. I have a professional white collar job, but can get down and dirty with the best of them. My coworkers just don't understand my joy of collecting a still-warm egg or opening a jar of homemade pizza sauce for family pizza night in January. I have a few close friends that are into the gardening, chickens, and canning. But from the other not-so-close friends, I love the "that's way too much work, I'm too busy" that is followed by the "if you have any extra...."

I have convinced two co-workers to start gardening, still working on bringing them into the "flock".

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:You are my hero! You are what a mom is supposed to be, you go girl. And be proud of it.

5. patnjess

patnjess Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    thanks!!!! Let me say these are VERY close friends, but we are way different! they are the ones that drop anything and have to run over and take care of me and my kids when I couldn't. I have epilepsy and have required babysitters, from time to time, when I was bad.
    But I don't understand why we are so different. thought it was just me. Glad its not. I don't understand how they don't enjoy things by their own hands. There is so much pleasure knowing that you did something, instead of bought something.

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Yep All my friends think Im different (AKA CRazy as a loon) But I dont care i may be crazy but im happy... And yes I too have friends that their children are always immaculate and never get dirty.. Not at my house my kids run around barefoot, play in the mud/dirt, climb thrh the pop door to get eggs and or chickens ( My youngest loves to carry the poor girls around) and one of thier favorties games is tease the rooster...LOL

7. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Songster

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Well, I am a bit different than my friends but I notice my difference more being smack dab in a military community now. It seems like most of the women are dressed to the nines with their Coach purses and fancy clothes. I own very few clothes that don't have a stain here or there and most of my shirts are T-shirts!

It really doesn't bother me very much anymore. I am who I am and and wouldn't trade it for the world!

My oldest son (almost 12) came home from school one day and said people at school call him a redneck. He really loves the outdoors, fishing and hunting. He's just a good ole country boy! I told him that there is nothing wrong with being a redneck. I said " If you and those boys were lost in the woods, who do you think would survive the best?" He said "Me" I told him that is nothing to be ashamed of and let them say whatever they want.

I don't have many friends, but the ones I have are like me. Really laid back, appearances aren't the most important thing to us. Maybe that is why I have so few friends....

8. carriehelene

carriehelene Songster

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Quote:Take it as it was meant, as a compliment. Alot of people are thinking more about how they would handle it if things go to crap in this country, and most of those same people know they would be in serious trouble. Since they are true friends, I don't think it was meant snidely, but sincerely. It sounds like they appreciate you the way you are.

9. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Nah.... I gave up those friends and now I just have chicken friends... [​IMG]

I like to feel normal [​IMG]

10. ebwy

ebwy Songster

Sep 10, 2009
    UK
    Quote:childhood is FOR getting mucky and not caring, and playing in the dirt, and things like that.
    I had a neighbour who's child never got to do anything that might make a mess - she was 10 years older than me but whenever my mother was making cakes with us, or we had paints in the yard, or we were playing with glitter or mud or anything, she came over to experience it! we all felt sorry that she'd never had a chance to do those things.

let the kids get mucky, and they can wash at the end of the day.

and yes, i've been different to my friends since we hit adolescence and they chose style while I chose comfort... and I still think I chose right

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: