ARE APPLES &TOMATOS GOOD FOR CHICKENS?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fawn and Fam, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Do they need to be cut into bit size pieces? Can I give them for example apple cores or is that bad because of the seeds and stem?

2. JenifferHartman

JenifferHartman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Basehor, KS
    They can have them. My chickens have been eating the tomatoes from my garden all summer.. they also went after my pumpkins, which is supposed to be a natural dewormer I believe. We give them the jack-o-lanterns after Halloween. Zucchini. . Cabbage.. hardboiled eggs chopped up with the shell. (Not whole or they will start eating the ones they lay) They also love apples. They can eat the core and seeds. I don't chop them up in tiny pieces just slice them in quarters and they will peck at it. They go bonkers. They will eat about any fruit or vegetable you throw in there

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You don't need to cut them up, they'll tear them up with their beaks. I feed mine apples, tomatoes and such all the time. They love it when I make salsa or applesauce, they get all the leftovers!

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Mine seem to prefer tommies over apples, maybe it's the texture. They don't usually get a lot of apple anyway, we don't eat many ourselves because I'm allergic.

5. Chase Family

Chase Family Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2013
    Arkansas
    Our chickens run either straight for the apple trees every morning when we let them out or the garden. The only veggie that they don't seem to care for are carrots. My kids got a laugh when they went to town on some beets and their faces were purple for the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by