Are araucanas or ameraucanas good eating birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by goldeneggtees, Aug 6, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, I have a question. I was told by a neighbor that the old man who used to live at our house would order chicks by mail in early spring, raise them until they laid eggs awhile (maybe fall into winter) then kill and eat them. I know for a fact that he used to keep the birds mentioned in the subject line. So my question is: do they make good eating birds? Or do you think he may have kept two separate flocks - one as meat birds and one as egg layers? I am just curious as to the history of our coop and our home.

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You can eat any chicken but neither of those are good for meat. They take way too long to mature and just aren't meaty.

Buff Orps, Delawares, Australorps/JG make a better dual purpose birds.

I'd rather raise Leghorns for meat that Ar/AMs. They aren't meaty but lay a lotta eggs.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  3. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Songster

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Ours were delicious! They don't grow as quickly as "meat" birds, but when we had ours butchered, we put them in the crock pot and loved them. Some people told us that we might not like them, because they were free range, and didn't have a lot of fat on their bodies, but they were wrong. The meat was tenderized in the crock pot, and have a wonderful flavor no matter how we seasoned it. We still have a few in the freezer, and are very grateful for these birds that we raised ourselves from eggs.

4. Bossroo

Bossroo Songster

Jun 15, 2008
    They all taste like chicken... They make good egg layers and you can make tastey soup or crock pot them but don't expect much meat from them. The industry Gold standard is the Cornish X ( produced by the millions) for the most meat production in the shortest amount of time. (1-1 1/2 lb cornish game hens in 42 days, 3.5 -4 1/2lb.dressed friers in 6 weeks, 5-8 lb dressed in 8-10 weeks. on average). one has to raise them by limiting their feed starting at about 3 weeks of age at 12 hours with feed and 12 hours without per day. Enjoy.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    yes and they are good. I agree with the folks in here!

6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Songster

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    ( produced by the millions)

By the bagillion gazillions....... [​IMG]

7. Kelso

Kelso Songster

Aug 6, 2009
    Cackle Hatchery claims "Their meat is delicious and it has a taste similar to quail."

8. raccoon

raccoon In the Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Cassatt S.C.
    Quote:Let me get back to you on that . I did 5 from cakle yesterday. They are chilling in the fridg now

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I eat all my extra birds and they are no exception. Ameraucanas are bigger so I keep them whole, but the araucana I piece up and make chicken cutletts with the breast and fry the rest [​IMG]

its very good if you process by 14-16 weeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: