Are Automatic Doors secure?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ErinG, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    We have the motor to get our automatic door up and running, our only concern is how secure the actual door is. Right now our coop is bomb proof to keep predators out and we are worried that with no real way to "lock" the door raccoons might get in. Our neighbor has a set up with a deep lip along the bottom, so there is no way to get under the door and lift it, but it seems that they could push and lift to get in. I would love thoughts, ideas, pictures! I am really itching to get this set up for weekend getaways!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The first one I bought (Foy's model) was actually purchased from a BYCer who had reconfigured her coop situation and didn't need it any longer. There was evidence of raccoon attempts - scratches and paw "palm prints" - on the sliding metal panel. When I installed it, I tried to lift it from the outside myself, pushing in against it and upwards. Nope, didn't push it up. There is very little wobble space as the metal panel fits right exactly into the metal tracks with VERY LITTLE space, just enough to allow it to be drawn upwards without catching.

And after using it for nearly a year, I purchased a second one from Foy's for a second coop.

My new coop situation is a transmorgrified garage, and has power to it, so I purchased an auto door from a different manufacturer. It is also very well constructed, just as secure as the Foy's model auto door.

It IS important that any vertical panel be installed so the bottom edge drops below the bottom of the opening. Can't let the claws slide under it to provide vertical lifting.

3. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thank you! I was hoping someone would chime in with experience, I feel better knowing they've tried and couldn't get in.

4. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hey, Ditto on that. ...if the door has groove, lip, whatever ya wanna call it to go down into...no claws are gonna get under it. use a slick material for door..i.e. aluminum, plexiglas, smoothe plywood, masonite, etc...they can't pust that up if they tried. The motor is pretty powerful, so build your door alittle bigger or beefier so it has alittle weight to it. Don't build these little 10" x 12" whimpy doors I hear people building. don't ya'll have some big "fat bottomed girls" out there? Build a door they can get thru easily.
    Secondly, if your door is facing run...and run is secure...less chance of a bad guy even getting to door. It's not really rocket science peeps.
    I personally love the automation thing. Something to make keeping chickens a little easier and also less time consuming. If ya got the time for the rope and pully door closer, cool.....do it. Not trying to be sarcastic, but there is something for all on this site to learn from. I know I have. Use what is best for you.
    Erik

5. Vtchicks

Vtchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Rutland, VT
    1/4 inch thick Lexan (plexiglass) door with overlapping lip on all sides. I do not think anything can get a grip on anything th get it open.

[​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ooh! I like the plexiglass! I bet chickens gather there in the mornings to look out before it opens, not just because they know it's their door to the outside, but to actually peek outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by