Are Bantam Ameraucana hens too loud for the city?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantyshanty, Jul 17, 2011.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I have several Ameraucana hens and dozens of other assorted birds. I keep my chicken-loving friends in the city supplied with birds when one of theirs dies. I have two chicken-keeping city friends who really want Ameraucanas for their flocks. I told them that my 4 hens lay in any weather & very regularly, but that their egg songs are super loud for bantams. Does anyone else have this experience with them? I've only ever had the four of them.

Does anyone have quietish bantam Ameraucanas as well? Maybe it's just mine.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Mine are really quiet.

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I don't have any, but I do have Silkies and would recommend them for someone living in the city if they want quiet hens. The girls are not very loud at all. The boys have a decent crow, but not too loud. Mine do not crow often, but I did have one that would crow during the night as well. We have a lot of street lights.

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    ALL hens can make noise. This was quite a lesson for me. I live rurally, but on a residential street in the populated area of our small town. My Delaware can start a squawking and be heard up the block. The egg song can be loud too especially when I have three girls lay at the same time. Even within the breeds personalities differ. If you find you have a squawker you can always do a trade.

5. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Thanks Pips, Elite & Thinking for your responses. These people do have (some of my) silkies already and now want blue eggs and birds who can see perfectly & roost.
    I think silkies have lovely voices, myself, but they aren't as productive as some people want for living in the city & having <5 birds.
    I guess I got loud Ameraucanas, all of them. The neighbors several acres away notice the egg songs, but not the silkie rooster, lol!

The quietest breed I've had is the D'Anvers. They make a quiet hiss or squeak just exactly when they lay their eggs, but here again, that's just mine [​IMG] They don't lay blue eggs.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:No, they are not productive enough for someone that is wanting eggs to eat [​IMG] They do not roost, they can not see, oh my why do we love them [​IMG] ! I like the colorful eggs too they are really pretty.

Well, maybe she could try a couple and if they don't work out give them back to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by