Are bantam cornish delicate?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by journey's end, Oct 17, 2009.

1. journey's end

journey's end Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    Do they succumb to cold more easily than other breeds? I'm losing mine left and right and don't know why. The other chickens are fine.

2. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    I don't think they are. I had several white laced reds and they were some of the hardiest most far-ranging birds. I lost some as juveniles, (thanks to our dog, not illness).
    I was always shocked when I found them out in the hay field or in the front yard. I never noticed any problem with "more prone to illness" than any of the others. It sounds like you may have some other type of illness that the Cornish are just more prone to than your other breeds

3. journey's end

journey's end Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    I wish I knew what though. I have a coop full of birds, all ages. The youngest are just 7 weeks old. These were all 16 weeks old. Not a mark on them, Today I found one upside down, barely alive, leg twitching. Stuck her under the heat lamp in a smaller coop, and last I checked she was standing up. The rooster wasn't so lucky. We found him the same way on Thursday, he died. A couple of other hens were found dead in the coop. If it is illness, any idea what?

4. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I have bantam Dark Cornish, and never had a problem, the pair I have are extremely hardy birds, she produces well and I hatched off several chicks which are doing very good. Not sure what's going on but I doubt very much it's the breed itself.

Shari

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by