Are bantam Polish chicks supposed to be teeny tiny?

mama24

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
GSO, NC
I got 6 chicks 3 weeks ago, 2 white silkies, 2 black silkies, a sultan, and a bantam Polish. The sultan is the biggest of the 4 now, and turning quite beautiful (and she has the SWEETEST personality!) The silkies are growing, too, but the Polish is still so teeny tiny! She's feathering out at the same rate as the sultan, but is about half the size now! When I got them, the sultan was the biggest, and the Polish was the smallest, but now the Polish is like half the size of the sultan,a nd the silkies are much bigger than her now as well. Is that normal or should I be worried? She's active, eats and drinks just fine, just isn't growing as fast as the others. I have some older Dutch bantams, which I thought were supposed to be one of the smallest breeds, but this Polish is smaller than they were at this age. Her head pouf is quite amazing these days, though. lol. It's huge and perfectly round on top of that teeny tiny head!

I have a 4 week old banty polish too and she hasn't grown much either but i'm sure she will it seems like once my banty chicks hit the 4-5 week mark they grow a foot over night so i've sure Miss Q will be taking her growth spurt soon

If it's a bantam then it's going to pretty small. I got 3 bantams (a cochin and 2 d'uccles) when I got my others (1 polish, some gold sex link and gold laced wyandottes)....there's not much difference in size when they're new little hatchlings, but now mine are 3 weeks and you can definately tell which 3 are the bantams. They are indeed about half the size of the large breed chicks. They're feathering out much the same as the large birds though, so no worries.

The other chicks I'm comparing it to are also bantams. I have 16 bantam chicks and it is by far the smallest.

My 3 week old polish (standard size) is smaller than my other 3 week old standard birds, so maybe they do end up being smaller than their counterparts of different breeds?
idunno.gif

I have 4 polish (standard size) and they were all smaller than my 2 bantam chicks!! They r just starting to catch up to the others in size...but r still the smallest!
idunno.gif
But my polish r starting to get their wigs in and they r adorable!!
love.gif

For bantams it is totally normal and she will remain small as-well so don't be freaked out. She's a bantam of course and fun-sized, whats not to love?
QP

I think the polish bantam or standard just grow slower than other chickens? I have two polish and I bought them at the same time as my other RIR, Australortps, Wyandottes, Barred Rock and Americana chickens and they are way behind.

Everyone kept asking me if they were banties and I told them they werent supposed to be but I was starting to wonder. Well they got about 5 or 6 weeks old and now they are really growing. You can't see as much of a size difference anymore. I really like them. I wish I would have gotten more than 2. Even though the other chicks are way bigger they don't get picked on.

Oh and they are adorable to watch. They love to scratch more than any of my other chickens. The other just eat their food, these two get up in the food tray and scatter it everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom