are bantams even worth butchering?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sdshoars, Jul 7, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    we have a couple of banty roos we dont want. are they even worth the work to butcher? they are eight weeks old.

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Maybe if you do a few and make them into soup? Not sure how many you would need to give you enough meat... I wouldnt bother plucking them, just skin them. Or you could post them on craigslist and maybe make a little $ [​IMG]

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I just cooked a very small stewing hen. It was not much meat, but enough to flavor a nice stew and had bits of meat and flavor throughout.

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    we ate a lot of them when i was a kid they were yummmmmmy

5. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    depends on the breed. Even small breeds, I would dress for the breast meat. Wings and back aren't worth keeping. thighs and legs can be eaten as well but need to be close to full size rather than younger.

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I would say if they are 8 wks old, maybe wait a little longer--(12 wks) and skin them. We are a hunting famly. we eat grouse, which is about the same size as a 12 wk old bantam. 2 will feed a family of 4. Iwould definitley say its worth it! just cook like its chicken breast (which it is) and I wouldn't bother with the legs for eating, but maybe making stock.

7. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    What kind of chickens are we eating at Buffalo Wing establishments? I always assumed they were banties given the size of the wings. They are tiny, and we pay lots of money for them when served with wing sauce, celery, and ranch!
    M

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd say make soup and utalize as much as you can from the little guys. We butcher extra silkies and at dressed weights of 12-16 ounces. To buy these silkies at the asian market they are about 8 bucks.

9. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    What kind of chickens are we eating at Buffalo Wing establishments? I always assumed they were banties given the size of the wings. They are tiny, and we pay lots of money for them when served with wing sauce, celery, and ranch!
    M

I'm curious about this as well if anyone knows the answer. [​IMG]

10. KAKBucks

KAKBucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I was thinking my extra silkie roos would make nice "cornish hens" [​IMG]

I actually have a friend who acquired about 15 silkie roos that are "hateful little creatures." I told him I might take them to butcher at some point, but I wanted to get through my first broiler butchering session first. Now those are some ugly birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by