Are bantams excempt!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tracy the chick, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    My whole flock has coryza and are on medication, but my silver laced bantoms who live with them are showing no signes of the desease at all, theres no point taking them out as they must have it and are also recieving medication... Just wondered if bantoms are tougher than the average hen?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    No. They are not any tougher. They may have been exposed to the disease previously. Perhaps they are the reason the flock is sick?

3. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Very true! I only got them 3 months ago and now all my chickens have coryza! There on baytril once a day and then they start bactrin injections from tomorrow every 2 days.. My vet is trying out a new injection as shes seeing a lot of coryza these days so hope it works.. ANd thank you..Tracy

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You may want to contact the former owner and inform them they are selling/giving away infected birds. It sounds like you are going to treat your flock, but a great many folks opt to destroy infected flocks because the birds will remain carriers of this disease for life. This seller needs to be stopped from infecting more flocks with this devastating disease.

If you opt to treat you will need to close your flock. No new birds in and no birds out. Any new birds brought in will get ill. Any birds out will infect all the birds in their new home.

Sorry for your situation. Good luck.

5. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by