ARE BANTAMS QUIET?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiezz, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Chickiezz

Chickiezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    My family lives in the city(im 11) and I really want bantams. My mom said they are loud and they are getting Buff Orphingtons instead, so I'm really upset I can't get one because my bantam chick died. SO, do you think they are quiet? I need answers from experienced people who have/had Bantams so I can show my parents.

We already have 2 Australorps and a pullet chick(unknown breed) and 3 ducklings.

I need answers by tomorrow so please help!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hi igto 2 bantam hens and they are no louder or quieter then the rest of RIRS they are with

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    My d 'uccle was pretty quiet. But if you need something noiseless you should look at a muscovy duck. THey are quackless. BTW i live in the city and have dutch bantam, muscovy ducks, a serama and some red production pullets(only chicks for now)
    look at Hendersons chicken breed chart ,it will help you pick the right breed. Orps are pretty huge, maybe not the best thing for the city.

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    first let me say welcome to byc [​IMG]
    It is good to see the young into wild life.
    With my experience all hens basically make the same noise, bantam cochin hens are more lovable they will let you hold them and they love attetion.
    They only really make noise when they are laying an egg or they will make a soft noise like they are talking to. Silkie are the same way.
    Good luck, hope you get what you whant.

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My 2 d'Uccle bantams are much quieter than my standard hen. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Seramas are the smallest and not too loud. The crows do not carry as much as my standard birds, but some of the Serama roos I have are real crowers and crow over and over alllllll day. I tune it out, but I guess even if you had one with a cute little crow, its not so cute if you hear it 9 million times a day.
    My friend Patrick lives in downtown Lexington and he has a line of squeaky crowing Seramas for the urban chicken enthusiast!

7. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    I have two Frizzles, a Silkie and an Ameracauna and you wouldn't know I had hens at all, they are so quiet. Now my Banty roo is a whole other story! He loves to crow at the drop of a hat!

8. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    My bantams are only chicks now, so I can't speak to how noisy they'll be as adults but my ducks are louder than my buff orpingtons (and the ducks don't sleep all night, so I can hear them periodically throughout the night).

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    get some buff orpington bantams... Everybody happy, problem solved. [​IMG] Next!!

10. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Most of my bantams are quiet, specially the Silkies and Cochins. The d'Uccles like to chatter (talk) to me, but they aren't loud.

The only one that does love to make noise and be heard is my Black Japanese bantam. I have no clue what she's saying, but she wants to make sure everything in the yard hears her lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by