Are Banties an actual breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Supermommy486, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I'm pretty sure they are but I wanted to make sure. I picked up 13 banties and they are lots of different colors so I was wondering if they were an actual breed. Sorry if it's a stupid question [​IMG]

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Bantams are 'miniature' chickens. The term bantie is just a generic term. There are hundreds of breeds of bantam chickens.

Matt

3. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I'm pretty sure its a collective term for all "miniature" chickens not really a breed.

4. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    OOOH. So I wonder what kind of breeds I got then...well cool.
    Thanks so much! I will have to get pics of them and post up. [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    And teh colour does not denote the breed either. Most breeds are recognised for a number of colours, and most colours are available for multiple breeds.

6. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Banties are old school term for bantams. Some call them BB banties. Meaning tiny bantams, likely referring to OEGB. Back in the old days, it didn't make much sense to raise a smaller version of poultry because poultry was thought of as food, not fun. They wanted the larger birds for the table and for egg production. The bantams are the novelty aspect of poultry I guess you could say.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:True, although studies have shown that smller versions are usually more cost effective. I know that is true for cattle, goats and sheep. I am not 100% positive about poultry, but wouldn't be surprised.

8. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Bantams aren't an actual breed. All but four of my chickens are bantams.

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    if you ask the feed store in vegas, banty is a breed... rofl....
    i asked what breed they said banty is the breed... i decided it wasn't worth arguing... lol...
    but of the 5 bantie i bought the one time, i got 2 different breeds of that breed...

10. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Quote:True, although studies have shown that smller versions are usually more cost effective. I know that is true for cattle, goats and sheep. I am not 100% positive about poultry, but wouldn't be surprised.

Yup, today I believe it is different. Smaller can be better, LOL. For example, I'm thinking back to the history of the midget white turkey. They were tried and the interest fizzled and the breed declined. Now they are making a slow comeback.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by