Are Banty Faverolles for me??!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by buffbeauty, May 24, 2010.

1. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    I am planning to get a banty breed (hopefully soon). I am considering the bantam faverolle. They are absolutely gorgeous and by what I've read have great personalities. I would be interested in a show quality so that my kids can help with them. My oldest is 8 and does a great job but my trio of exhibition buff orps are just quite a handful for her arms to manage. About all she can do is help carry them!! Of course we are new to chickens and so are both getting the hang of it! What are your thoughts on this? I know there are a bunch of fans, but then every breed has fans so i'd like pros and cons of each! We live in the south so it gets pretty warm here and have fairly mild winters. They would be tractor kept on a grassy area and we have already developed the tendency to spoil our big guys!! Thanks in advance for all your expert advice and opinions!!

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    ugly ducky on here raises bantam favorles. I have seen hers and they are nice birds. they have great temperaments.

3. buffbeauty

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks muddy horse! I'll look them up!

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I keep and breed bantam salmon faverolles and I am starting up with some bantam blue and splash faverolles. I guess I would consider myself a faverolles fan because I can't think of any cons [​IMG]

Some pros are; they are good layers for bantams, very occasionally broody, beautiful, calm, gentle, and great show birds!

I think for a child friendly bird you couldn't do better. Hopefully some less biased parties will pitch in I haven't heard many people talk about the downside of faverolles.

Henry

5. buffbeauty

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks henry!
    I was just reading the faverolles thread and I see you have lots of knowledge of the bird. I know nothing of breeding but hope to learn once I get the gist of the care stuff. I made sure when I bought my BOs that I bought High quality (I hope) and were out of good stock. First set of eggs in bator now so well see. Trio is about 10months. I definitley have decided the banty fav is for us. Now to get that pen built...... I'm definitely interested in a pair/trio if someone has some good birds. I know its getting late in the season.

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I am learning just like everyone else Dick Bourlanger, Jeff Oxley, Rose Isgrig, and others are where I got everything I know so far. I have only had the breed for a year! I will try and compile my list of bantam faverolles contacts so you can email people to see what they have available.

Henry

7. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    I have had Bantam Fav's for quite awhile now and love them...I started with 2 lines, a trio from dick boulanger and the another from rose isgrigg, now the lines have comingled to form my own "line"...They are beautiful birds with a great personality...The roosters are friendly and easily handled. I have done well showing them and have sold many offspring that are equally as successful. Try them you will like them but start with a good foundation so you can grade up from them....Good Luck...

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    ()relics :

I have had Bantam Fav's for quite awhile now and love them...I started with 2 lines, a trio from dick boulanger and the another from rose isgrigg, now the lines have comingled to form my own "line"...They are beautiful birds with a great personality...The roosters are friendly and easily handled. I have done well showing them and have sold many offspring that are equally as successful. Try them you will like them but start with a good foundation so you can grade up from them....Good Luck...

Thats great I sent you a PM about your faverolles.​

9. buffbeauty

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks guys. Eggs are officially ordered!! Henry thanks for the advice on the line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by