Are barn birds a danger to chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Willow's Meadow, May 18, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    We have a lot of sparrows, robins etc. flying into are barn during the day. Is that a danger to chickens? I mean could the sparrows spread diesese to the chickens? I did have my chicks vaccinated for Maerek's (the chicks aren't here yet). I love walking into the barn to hear the birds chirping and singing but I wasn't sure if they could pass sickness to the chickens. [​IMG]

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no expert on it, but I'll weigh in here since no one else has. The thing I know for sure is that wild birds can bring lice and mites into the barn and, thus, to your chickens. Both are miserable to get rid of. If you allow the wild birds to remain, I would suggest you make regular use of diatomaceous earth in floor litter, bedding, and nest boxes. Also, regularly check your flock for bugs. The earlier you catch the infestation, the less difficult it is to treat it.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Not only lice and mites, but your chickens could possibly get worms....specifically tapeworms and possibly fowl pox if the wild birds have it and come in contact with your chickens. Tapeworms can be eradicated by using valbazen. Fowl pox is normally introduced to birds/chickens by mosquitos, is highly contageous from an infected bird but normally not fatal to chickens. Sevin dust will kill lice/mites, redust in about 10 days.

Last edited: May 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by