1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are barred rock roosters darker than pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barredrocker, Jun 25, 2011.

1. barredrocker

barredrocker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    wakecounty
    hey i have 8 barred rock chickens that are 3 to 4 weeks old i have 7 striped ones and 1 is almost all black is this a rooster

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Our expirence is:

Lighter = roo

Darker = hen

Never been wrong.

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    My rooster is much lighter than my two hens.

4. barredrocker

Jun 25, 2011
    wakecounty
    so i have 7 roosters and 1 hen

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would post pictures before necessarily jumping to that conclusion (due to their age). But as they feather in (and ALL should have SOME kind of barring), the males will appear lighter in color than the females due to barring differences.

6. barredrocker

Jun 25, 2011
    wakecounty
    but it has no barrs

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    I have three.. they hatched march 15th.. on of them I changed her name from Joan Jett < the rocker> to jett Lee.. he is more of a silver barring color, than the girls dark black barring... he also has a bit larger comb not much bigger.. just slightly.. but i tell ya i am wondering now if he isn't gonna be Joan jett? he is absolutely NOT rooster like.. my other 3 roosters < different breeds> all act like teenage roosters..

Im excited to see what Jett turns out to be too.. I sure hope you have more pullets than roos.
    )O(
    Pink

8. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    If it has no bars, I'd suspect a rooster Romeo that strayed into the wrong pen. If it was a red rooster, then your black chick is a girl sexlink (also called a Black Star) and will get some red bleed through on her neck and chest as she matures.

ETA: Hopefully not ALL the chicks are "oopsies" or the others are roos. You really need to post pics. A purebred BR will have even barring w/no red anywhere. Black star roos are barred, but the barring is "broken" and as they mature they get red bleedthrough in places and some of the green feathering in their tales from the red daddy. Did you buy these chicks sexed or straight run?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  10. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Quote:My BR roos were not as "rooish" at that age either. They were closer to 5 months before they started the "testosterone tango," as we call it around here! My other roos (especially the darned bantam cochins ... sheesssh!) were all "I'm so sexy," chest bumping, hackle flairing, evil eying little thugs by 3 months or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by