Are Basket Nests a

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Knucker Hatch Farms, May 29, 2008.

1. Knucker Hatch Farms

Knucker Hatch Farms Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Hi BYCers!

I'm very excited...my first broody has her very first pip. I intend to leave her alone, now that I know that work is really in progress. Her nest has been in a Sterilite bin, which is located inside of a cupboard (the brooder). Now I'm beginning to wonder if that may be a problem. Are the chickies good to go in a basket or should I be worried about one going AWOL and not being able to hop back in? The bin is about seven inches high.

If I'm going to do anything, I'll want to do it ASAP. Right now, the nest is in the middle of the cupboard with shavings, and we have also filled the cupboard with a couple inches of shavings. What do you think?

Warm Regards,

Mama Knucker Hatch

2. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    I don't know enough to help sorry [​IMG] But, I can help by giving it a "bump" so maybe someone else will be able to answer. Good luck with your new chickie that's coming!

3. Knucker Hatch Farms

Knucker Hatch Farms Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks PulletSurprise! [​IMG]

In case anyone pulls this issue up on a search, I'll share what ended up working for us. We had a very successful hatch with 8 out of 9 eggs hatching, and I haven't lost all of my hope yet on the last. It was an extended natural hatch over a course of 5 days, which made things a bit of a problem for the older ones when it came to being stuck in the Sterilite basket and unable to eat or drink.

I was really nervous to do so, but didn't have a choice after the first two days. So I carefully moved the remaining eggs and all chicks out of the basket and removed the basket entirely from the cupboard (brooder). Mama seemed ready for this transition as it allowed her to scoot with the remaining eggs on the cupboard floor to either the water or feed to do her teaching with the little ones.

Here was the only complication: By removing the basket, it seemed a little more difficult for my broody to keep her eggs under her with the older peeps weaving in and out as well. One morning, I did find that one egg had rolled just beyond her wing, and was cold. Alas, this is the one that has yet to hatch - so we could be out of luck.

Hope this helps someone!

Warm Regards,

Mama Knucker Hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by