Are beetroots okay for ducks to eat?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by felicity5, Oct 14, 2012.

1. felicity5

felicity5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Are beetroots okay for ducks to eat? and if so how should they be served.

2. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    They are fine to feed. Very nutritious too. You can serve them raw or cooked but I would suggest cutting them into pieces the ducks can handle. Here is a list of duck treats that are good. The beets can change the color of their poop so don't panic if it starts looking a bit red after feeding it to them.

3. felicity5

Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks so much ! And thank you for the link :)

4. Tivona

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Your welcome and [​IMG]

5. Valntyn

Valntyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Central Maine
    Oo, yay, something else I can add to the "duck garden" next year! [​IMG]

6. new2ducks

new2ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    I definately am planning a duck garden for next year too! My poor little things just feasted on weeds but loved them! There were some sunflowers that were growing in their pen abd they enjoyed them too. I bought some pond plants and they devoured them in about 10 minutes...also 20 feeder fish not too long ago and WOW it was like watching pirhannas! lol
    I'm hoping to plant something that can handle them for next year and maybe last a little while!

7. felicity5

Oct 14, 2012
    My ducklings love weeds too!

8. new2ducks

new2ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    does anyone have any ideas of winter plants that I could plant that the ducks might like?

9. Tivona

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Kale is great. I grow it for my ducks and it is a favorite. It handles frost well but needs some protection for real cold deep freezing. Grows quickly, even in cool weather. Nutritious. It must be fenced off or the ducks will kill the plants. I always have some growing now. I can keep kale going for close to a year before it dies from frost or setting seed. I let a few plants go to seed a couple of years ago and saved all the seed. I still have over a quart of the kale seed. I just store it in my refrigerator after making sure it was good an dry. The seeds last for years this way. A few others are dandelions, swiss chard, and bok choy. Any of the cabbage family such as the kale usually like cooler weather so they make great winter garden greens for both me and my birds.

10. felicity5

Oct 14, 2012
    I'm going to buy worms today are there any in particular I should get like blood worm or thread worms or something?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by