Are black australorp roos mean

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Yessur Ebob, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    We had some black roosters a few years ago that we got in an assortment from our local feed mill. I'm assuming that they were black australorps, but like i said they came in an assortment of various breeds, so its possible that they could have been something else. They were very aggressive and fought almost all the time, however they never attacked people or fought with each other, but would tag team the other roosters. I especially remember them ganging up on the big bb white turkey we had.

Everything i have read about this breed suggests that the roosters are among the most peaceable that you can get. Has anyone else had this problem with black australorps?

2. Raindog

Raindog In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    I'm definately not an expert on Black Australorps, but the one roo I did have would attack every chance he got. He was relocated pretty quickly. On the other hand my Black Ausralorp hens are quite nice girls.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    we live on a dirt road, dead end. We are near the end. Mine would come charging out of the woods if anyone tried to walk by, he wouldn't let them. He started attacking all of us(dh included, big mistake). Dh was shoveling snow and he went after dh, dh caught him mid-flight with the shovel and threw him like a lacrosse ball, he got back up and charged again. Sent him away real quick before we had a lawsuit from the neighbors [​IMG] We now have an ameraucana in charge of the flock and he has never showed ANY aggression to anyone, even the little kids (2yo).

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I think it is just natural for them to try to chase off other roosters.

5. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Songster

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I have one Black Australorp Roo and he is great. When he was young he tried to show who was boss a few times. I showed him different and he is great now, one of the best roos I have besides my white rock.

6. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    we had one that was a great rooster, actually one of the best we've had, but he was one out of something like 8 or 10.

we sold him because we had too many roos, but i wish we would have kept him.

7. lishah2000

lishah2000 Songster

Mine is wonderful. Has not shown any aggression towards humans, doesn't fight with the other roos and watches over the baby run. He really doesn't like to be picked up, but is easy to catch and doesn't fight at all.

Just today I had a hen fight that I couldn't stop and their roo wasn't able to stop. I finally ran their roo out of the coop and called the Australorp and let him into the coop. I really didn't see him do anything other than walk in like he was in charge, but the fighting stopped.

8. jrottie

jrottie In the Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    All I can add is our Aussie Roo (Leroy), may be the best pet we have. He runs the flock perfectly, and comes running, whenever I call him. He answers better than the dog or the kids...lol. He woll put himself between the girls, and any thing threatening them. At 2 years old he is impressive. Very tender nature about him. He did peck a mosquito off my leg in the spring, but that is as aggressive as it gets for him[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: