Are Black chickens safer free ranging ?

tigger19687

Crowing
Jun 27, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
I thought I would throw this out there because I can't find the answer.

Here in N.E. we have Big Crows and Crows HATE Hawks. If Crows are around the hawks don't play, they go elsewhere so they are not bothered. I have noticed that here that is Crows have been around that morning there are no Hawks around that day at all.

So I wondered if you had Black Chickens if the hawks would think they were Crows and not bother.

i am NOT talking about little Silkies, but bigger like Australorps, Black Jersey Giants etc...

I did read somewhere that jungle fowl coloring didn't really help because predators are looking for that type of color.
We don't have Green chickens :lol: so .......

tigger19687

Crowing
Jun 27, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
I know they would figure out the difference and I know they don't bother them because they are Black. Crows dive bomb Hawks, usually only when they are near a nest. But the crows here do it and there are no Crow nests ;)

yeah sharp eyes they have. Just thought maybe they might think twice. We have HUGE Crows here :bow

LOL @pvaldes only if they don't make that Crow noise haha

theoldchick

The Chicken Whisperer
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 11, 2010
It's the behavior that keys a hawk onto its prey. I've seen Blue Jays and Mockingbirds send a hawk spiraling for cover. Yet, I've seen hawks eat Blue Jays and Mockingbirds. Black chickens would be safe from a hawk only if they took to the air like a crow and attacked hawks. Otherwise, free range chickens are ripe for any predator. If you are worried about hawk attacks, you'll have to rethink your free ranging strategy.

tigger19687

Crowing
Jun 27, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
I know that free ranging is a crap shoot if you live near a hawks area. Not really my issue.

I just heard somewhere that darker birds fared a bit better then lighter birds. Didn't know if it was true or not.
I will be getting Black Australorps soon. I have Reds and white columbian hens right now and not an issue so far.

Just curious

edit, WISH I had Crows here more often, but ini reality they follow the trash days in town and surrounding towns.

iluvsedward

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Calvert County MD
But i do think darker birds in general fair better because they blend in better. think about how easy it would be to spot a stark white chicken versus a brown one from way up high. Now, hawks and other birds of prey have incredible sight, but if the bird was far away the chances are greater of it spotting a white chicken than a brown one. (I say brown because i believe it blends even better than black in an earthy setting)

Top Bottom