Are black sex links noisy?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sherwoodchicks, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherwoodchicks

sherwoodchicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Southern California
    I'm thinking of getting a black sex link chick. Our local feed store has them and I like the idea of it because it sounds like I'd be pretty much assured that they are pullets. (We are in the process of re-homing two roosters so I don't want to go through that again if I can help it). My concern is that I've been reading about the breed and I have read a couple times that the hens are noisy. Does anyone have experience with this? I have silkie hen and a buff orpington hen and neither of them are noisy. I am wondering if this is a good choice for me since I live so close to my neighbors. Please let me know - are black sex link hens in general more noisy than other hens?? Thank you!!!

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I have three of these hens and I will say that they are definitely one of my more vocal breeds. However, I don't know that it would be anything to disturb the neighbors (unless they are really uptight). My hens are generally quiet, but occasionally they like to inform everyone (and I do mean everyone) that they laid an egg, which is when I get a chorus of squawking. All in all, it's a good breed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by