Hello everyone As I mentioned in a separate thread, one of my Light Sussex bantam hens died yesterday and I am now wondering if she may have been poisoned by eating bluebell leaves (Hyacinthoides sp.). If anyone knows about garden/woodland plants which are toxic to hens maybe you could let me know what the symptoms would be and how long after eating toxic plants would one expect to see these symptoms? My hen was looking out of sorts for a couple of weeks or so...sort of 'out of it' and a bit miserable looking, but was eating at least a bit. I noticed today that a clump of bluebells had grown up inside the hen run and the top inch or two of most of the leaves had been eaten. There is nothing else really except the hens that could have eaten the leaves. Also in the part of the garden where I let the hens out, some small bulbs of plants (not sure of species, but bulbs quite small) had been scratched up and it is quite possible that some of these could have been eaten I suppose. I plan to keep an eye on my two remaining hens for the next couple of weeks and hope that they stay healthy. Would two weeks be long enough to know that they had not been affected does anyone know? I will then be rehoming them hopefully, as between lots of neighbouring cats visiting my garden and vet bills among other things, I have decided that keeping hens, though they are a pleasure to watch when they are happily scratching around and having dust baths etc. is not a realistic proposition for me. I want to be sure that the hens are healthy first as it would be obviously unfair to burden someone else with sick hens The cat problem is one I really hadn't thought much about before I got the hens last summer, but it actually ends up meaning that the only time my hens can be let meander around my garden is when I am not only at home, but able to see out into the garden, which means sitting half way up my stairs looking out the window! As for 'meandering around the garden', the whole aspect of toxic garden plants doesn't seem to be adequately dealt with in the books which I read about keeping backyard chickens. My garden is intended to be a sort of 'woodland' garden (work in progress!) which includes periwinkle (Vinca sp.), narcissus, buttercup, honeysuckle etc all of which it now appears, are potentially toxic to hens. Alas! had I known about the dangers of toxic plants I could have ensured that my hens did not have access to them, but despite reading quite a bit about keeping hens, that danger had escaped my notice.