are bob whites Monogamous

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bluegoose, Feb 12, 2011.

1. bluegoose

bluegoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    I just bought 12 bob whites three of them are male.thinking one male to three hens and someone told me that they are monogamous one roo to one hen.I have other Quail whites-brown-and so on they are not one on one only.if bobs pair up like one roo one hen then i will need a few more roos. any input would be helpfull thanks.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Are About As Monogamous As A Sailor On Shore Leave. Often Times They Do Much Better In Pairs As Hens Dont Always Play Well Togather. All You Can Do Is Try And See. The Problem With Bobs Is There Are Really No Set Behaviors Like With Coturnix. Some Do Fine In Colonies, Others In Trios And Yet Others Only In Pairs.... The Birds Themselves Will Make These Decisions For You

3. bluegoose

Mar 25, 2010
    Thanks for the reply I was kinda hopeing you would comment on this as I have read and watched many comments and replys and have great respect for you and some others thank you.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes in the wild most pair up.....but i have raised them in prs. trios, and colony less trouble with prs , need more space for colony and yes they will fight.......

5. bluegoose

Mar 25, 2010
    Thanks Deerman I wil start looking for a few more roos and stick to prs and take the worry out of it .

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I have a few trios but like Jeff said some Hens are just mean if they were brooded together it kina helps a little , until one night when there is a full moon and one hen wants the guy all to herself......

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    After a few weeks the fighting should ease down a bit,but when breeding season starts your problem magnifies. I have had success with colonies, pairs, and trios. It really depends on the birds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by