Are Brahma"s good moms?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sandy sea, Feb 14, 2009.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    My light brahma has be sitting on eggs for two days. She is around ten months old. She has chosen the most popular nest box. She will not even get out even when other hens decide to use the same box to lay. What are the chances that she will hatch the eggs? Should I move her to another location with the eggs away from the others? How many eggs should I let her sit on? Any help would be great. Thanks

ldd be great.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    MOVE HER to another location away from the rest.

When I was a kid we had a light brahma hatch out over 30 Chicks. SERIOUSLY!! Every single egg hatched... we didn't realize how many she had under her until she hatched them out. That's got to be a record for a broody hen. And what a great momma she was. I think she lost a few the first week because they couldn't keep up but we bragged about her for years.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:

4. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    She gave up sitting this morning. I guess she was just trying out the idea or decided that the other hens were having just too much fun in the yard. Oh well....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by