1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are brahma's feather sexed as day old?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nicole01, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Do hatcheries feather sex or vent sex brahmas?

If they are feather sexed, I'm thinking my daughter picked up a light brahma boy. His/her feathers are straight across and only one set, not the both primary and coverts. My Brahma was in the pullet bin. Last year the brahma she picked had the layered wings.

Which would be awesome, because I secretly want a boy to watch over my flock!

However he/she doesn't act like a boy. My neighbor brought home a rooster chick by accident, but he took control of the flock at less then a week old pecking the tops of their heads if they did something he didn't like.

My less then a week old light Brahma is the sweetest thing and runs up to me when he/she sees me.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can contact the specific hatchery and ask them, but the answer is almost certainly "No" to feather sexing. You can read the bottom section of the first post in this thread to see what it takes to be able to feather sex chicks. Most hatcheries we use are not going to keep two separate breeding flocks to keep the fast and slow feathering gene pure, then keep a third flock of the offspring of those first two to produce hatching eggs for feather-sexable chicks.

They vent sex instead.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Some hatcheries do feather sex some chicks, but those are not normally the breeds we buy. Those would be for commercial chicks.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thank you for your help. I know we will find out in a few weeks or months as he/she grows.

I'm still hoping for the oops boy. ;)

My husband agreed to keep this one if in fact it's a boy and a nice temperament.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by