Are brahmas skiddish??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hd_darcy, Sep 13, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Or all a little crazy? Oh man. I have 4 baby chicks right now. 1 Brahma, 1 Ameraucana, 2 Silkies. The brahma is nuts! He freaks out and won't hardly let you touch him.. GRR.. he drives me nuts.. And, yes, I think he's a little roo..GRRR.. My Ameraucana is the sweetest little thing, but she was the only one I hatched out and I think that's why she's "the best" LOL...

Would love to hear your thoughts / facts on brahmas. Thank you!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, it's just a skittish chick. I've never had a skittish or flightly Brahma. My Easter Eggers, however (what your "Ameraucana" is) can be flightly as a chick, then calm down as a hen. So don't worry, he or she will eventually settle. My Brahmas, of all my ooh 10 breeds in my flock, are the most docile and calm of the bunch. [​IMG]

3. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    My brahma is the least skittish thing EVER and he is a roo always been my cuddle bug

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Give it some time...eventually he will wind up being the most outgoing bird in your flock! [​IMG]

5. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I was robbed! [​IMG] GRRR..... I also had a set of chicks that were all cochins. One of them were "crazy" too. He still is now that he's a few months old..GRRR..

6. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thanks! I hope so, because I think he's going to be soooo pretty. My son adores black and white chickens, and he will be our only one.

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    OMG, my Brahmas (when I had them) and my Partridge Cochins now are so sweet and gentle...even as babies. YOu might have a "Lady GaGa" on your hand....lol...free spirited and wild child.

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I keep Brahmas mainly because they are SO easy to handle and 'tame'

I've never had a nasty one.....and I've got some very big roos. They tend to become more and more laid back with time.

I think you are just unlucky....but he could well calm down when he leaves it adolescence and turn into a mellow big fellow.

Good Luck,

Sandie

9. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    D'Angelo N Va. :

OMG, my Brahmas (when I had them) and my Partridge Cochins now are so sweet and gentle...even as babies. YOu might have a "Lady GaGa" on your hand....lol...free spirited and wild child.

OH I heart lady gaga...maybe i'll name my wild child loud egg singing new wellie after her... lol what do you think??

[​IMG]

10. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    [​IMG] Here's my almost 6 month old Brahma roo Goose as you can see he is NOT skittish at all Camera Hog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by