Are brazilian pepper trees toxic to chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mydog8it, Aug 19, 2010.

1. mydog8it

mydog8it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Just wondering if anyone has had experience with chickens and brazilian pepper trees. The guy at the nursery said the berries are edible and wouldn't be harmful to pets, but I'm finding some info online that says they can be toxic.

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I don't know anything about these trees, but if you're unsure, I'd skip it. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Anyway, there's my two cents. [​IMG]

3. mydog8it

mydog8it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Yeah. I really should have double checked first, but of course it's already planted...

4. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Quote:Ah. In that case, I have no advice to offer. [​IMG] Good luck!

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Most plants that are labeled toxic are more like just not tasty. Most animals will not eat poisonous plants because of the taste. Very few plants actually kill. I can think of a few, but most will just make you sick for a while. I would Google the tree and check what it is that the tree or berry does. You will be better at finding info if you look for the trees botanical name. What you are calling it is just a common name, and it will very around the country and the world. Botanical names never change. It's still good to remember that chickens are walking garbage cans, and will eat just about anything whether it is good for them or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by