Are Bridgey’s Sinuses Swollen? (not emergency)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by micstrachan, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Hello,
    Bridgey is in a full-on, pillow fight molt. Poor thing! But she’s being a trooper and acting normal. Her comb and wattles are dry and shrunken, of course. A few months ago, she had mild sneezing and lost her voice for a couple days, but otherwise has seemed fine. Yesterday I noticed her face looks different, and I can’t tell if it’s just because her comb and wattles are all deflated or could her sinuses be a little swollen?

Also, the smoke that’s blowing down here from the fire in Butte County (90,000 acres and only 5% contained) is so thick you can taste it. Feeling thankful we don’t have a fire nearby, but this smoke may be tough on my girls. Authorities are advising humans and animals to stay indoors.
    FA30BDFF-8923-4680-992D-950D6D6F1C0B.jpeg

Edited to add: Bridgey normally looks like this:
    18B1E2D3-2B1D-4E09-AB86-54A6A77716EF.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. Something looks a little swollen on her face, for sure. The smoke may be causing some irritation; plant plants nearby and try to put some sort of wind-break by the pen to avert the smoke if there are hard winds blowing it.

micstrachan likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Looks like it. I've had chickens get the one sided-swelling and I've treated it with steroid eye drops and an antibiotic eye drop or ointment. It's always cleared up in a day.

If Bridgey is acting sick or the swelling spreads to the other side, you may have a case of MG. (one of the respiratory diseases)

micstrachan likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    micstrachan likes this.
  5. 9SpiceyChickens

9SpiceyChickens Crowing

Jul 24, 2018
    In the coop, Northern CA
    Looks a little swollen, I agree.
    The fire sucks down here in Butte County....

6. Thanks. Not sure I can get it in California without a prescription, but will keep searching. I think she looks better this morning. Will try to get photos of both sides.

When a little sneezing and a couple lost voices, along with a couple mildly wrinkled eggs hot the flock a few months ago, I assumed it was IB. I am so wishing I got those &#%[email protected]!!! juncos out of the run sooner.

7. Well, I dunno. She looks pretty good this morning, I think. Can they have a transient swelling of the face? Maybe she was a little irritated by the smoke yesterday. I will be watching her closely.
    7B7FD1B5-0601-4FB0-9855-22FFD0772DC3.jpeg

1B6A9CC3-BD5F-4D88-81FA-478EA488579B.jpeg

8. Yikes. So sorry you are dealing with that. Are you and your animals safe? Have you been evacuated?

9. 9SpiceyChickens

9SpiceyChickens Crowing

Jul 24, 2018
    In the coop, Northern CA

No, we didn't evacuate. The animals are safe.

10. MissChick@dee

[email protected] Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Benadryl could help. I keep the 25mg on hand. My approach is not scientifically proper. But this is what I do. The tabs are small I break them with the bottom of a flat coffee cup. I dose a quarter tab (stuffed inside a grape or kernel of canned corn). In 4 hours if I don’t see some improvement I dose again. I never exceed a half tab in one day. But I will dose for two consecutive days. I’ve had this work for me. Best wishes

azygous and micstrachan like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: