Are Bridgey’s Sinuses Swollen? (not emergency)

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Hello,
Bridgey is in a full-on, pillow fight molt. Poor thing! But she’s being a trooper and acting normal. Her comb and wattles are dry and shrunken, of course. A few months ago, she had mild sneezing and lost her voice for a couple days, but otherwise has seemed fine. Yesterday I noticed her face looks different, and I can’t tell if it’s just because her comb and wattles are all deflated or could her sinuses be a little swollen?

Also, the smoke that’s blowing down here from the fire in Butte County (90,000 acres and only 5% contained) is so thick you can taste it. Feeling thankful we don’t have a fire nearby, but this smoke may be tough on my girls. Authorities are advising humans and animals to stay indoors.
FA30BDFF-8923-4680-992D-950D6D6F1C0B.jpeg

Edited to add: Bridgey normally looks like this:
18B1E2D3-2B1D-4E09-AB86-54A6A77716EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Benadryl could help. I keep the 25mg on hand. My approach is not scientifically proper. But this is what I do. The tabs are small I break them with the bottom of a flat coffee cup. I dose a quarter tab (stuffed inside a grape or kernel of canned corn). In 4 hours if I don’t see some improvement I dose again. I never exceed a half tab in one day. But I will dose for two consecutive days. I’ve had this work for me. Best wishes

Something looks a little swollen on her face, for sure. The smoke may be causing some irritation; plant plants nearby and try to put some sort of wind-break by the pen to avert the smoke if there are hard winds blowing it.

Looks like it. I've had chickens get the one sided-swelling and I've treated it with steroid eye drops and an antibiotic eye drop or ointment. It's always cleared up in a day.

If Bridgey is acting sick or the swelling spreads to the other side, you may have a case of MG. (one of the respiratory diseases)

Benadryl could help. I keep the 25mg on hand. My approach is not scientifically proper. But this is what I do. The tabs are small I break them with the bottom of a flat coffee cup. I dose a quarter tab (stuffed inside a grape or kernel of canned corn). In 4 hours if I don’t see some improvement I dose again. I never exceed a half tab in one day. But I will dose for two consecutive days. I’ve had this work for me. Best wishes
Genius!

Back
Top Bottom