are broilers bullys

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chews chooks, Oct 9, 2012.

1. chews chooks

chews chooks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    if i introduced a pol silky into my flock of year old broilers would there be any "problems" [​IMG] ??????????

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I would have reservations about it. they would be so much bigger.

RobertH

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

you have broilers that are a year old?

4. chews chooks

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    yea why [​IMG]

5. farmin4fun

farmin4fun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    Jackson, Michigan
    Broilers are bred specifically to be large and fast growing so they can be eaten within 6-8 weeks after hatching. Because of this they often tend to die within a year or two due to heart problems and other medical issues, so most people don't keep them as long as you have.

No judgement or anything and there's nothing wrong with raising broilers longer, but you should just be aware that they eat a lot of food, aren't very good egg layers, and tend to die young. There's always exceptions to the rule, but that tends to be the natural course.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if I were you I would look into a different breed because you may start having a few unexplained deaths in your flock soon. There are lots of different breeds out there that might fit what you are looking for better than broilers.

I hope this doesn't discourage you from having chickens. They have been a ton of fun and brought a lot of joy to my life. I wish you and your flock the best of luck.

6. chews chooks

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    hey guess what my broilers are still alive at 18 months this is frankly amazing cosidering theyre supposed to die within one year i love them how old are your oldest chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by