Are Brown Leghorns known to be good broody mothers?!?!??!?!!?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Jan 9, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I think I have another broody, but before sticking eggs under her, I wanted to know if that breed is known for sitting on the eggs for the whole 21 days and mothering them before I go throuh this lettin her have the eggs,

thanks please respond soon [​IMG]

2. Four Oaks Bantams

Four Oaks Bantams Out Of The Brooder

Quote:I am thinking leghorns are pretty much non-setters, but i am not positive

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:There are exceptions to every generalization, but Leghorns are NOT known for going broody. They're the major source of eggs in this nation and most hatcheries have bred the broody trait out of them, because it interferes with egg production.

4. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:Mine was a great devoted setter but she wasnt the best mother. she was a bantam tho

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:There are exceptions to every generalization, but Leghorns are NOT known for going broody. They're the major source of eggs in this nation and most hatcheries have bred the broody trait out of them, because it interferes with egg production.

This. I have one white leghorn that goes broody for about a week, then stops. I have a feeling if yours appears broody, it will do the same thing.

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    well then Im still going to try. Because if she stops then Ill just put the eggs under my other broody until my incubator comes in the mail. It should be there in 5-6 days or so. I mean its worth giving it a shot, worst that can happen is that they dont hatch.

I wont get the eggs confussed because I have then all marked

My broody austrolorps eggs say: C or X, on them

My brown leghorn SaY: E

7. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    I have 2 brown leg horn hens - one is the best broodie (so far) and the other is hopeless! The good one went broodie first and i think the other one only sat with her cos she liked the company. They started off with 12 eggs between them and when the numbers slowly declined i knew something was up. Discovered the second hen was squashing and then eating them! So she was removed from the nest, and the good hen has been sitting ever since. She gets up occasionally to have a scratch and something to eat but otherwise all she wants to do is hatch those eggs!!! The other hen couldn't care less now, took her 2 days to perch again, i did offer her her own nest of eggs just incase she was serious about hatching some but she just trod on them too.
    I was told leg horns were hopeless broodies, but i think i have a good one here. I just hope she's a good mum too - they are due to hatch this weekend!
    So i guess you can only give her some fertile eggs and see how she goes. And I have learnt a valuable lesson - once they are sitting on them - do your best not to disturb them!

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Most of the non broody leghorns are the white ones , because that has been bred out of them. Some of the true old brown leghorn will go broody, but these are hard to find. Lot of the modern brown leghorns have the white type in there back ground.

9. pliles

pliles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    Raleigh/Garner, NC
    I have a first-time "mom" that's a leghorn. She has been devoted the entire 21 days and we have our first two new 'chicklets'( my grandson's term just today. So far, so good.

10. Upontheroost

Upontheroost Just Hatched

Nov 20, 2016
    South Texas
    Wow! I have never had a leghorn go broody. But I guess there's a first time for everything

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by