Are Butler's Garter Snakes a concern?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickiee, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Chickiee

Chickiee Chillin' With My Peeps

I know we have a Butler's Garter Snake around here (saw one on the patio shortly after moving in) but can't find anything about them being a threat to chickens. They're harmless to people. Does anyone know if I should be concerned with them?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Not exactly what a Butlers garter snake is, but most snakes will eat the eggs. They originally gi into the hen house after the rodents they say. Me personally. I think they go for the eggs.

3. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    no garters snakes will not bug your birds they are terrified of chickens and birds because they prey on them, your birds will eat the snakes tho and swallow them whole wait till you see it lol

the butlers cant eat eggs they are wayy to big they are not interested in eggs butlers cant even eat mice they dont like fur they eat insencts earth worms frogs leaches salamanders etc..

remember all snakes have diff things they like to eat not all are the same some snakes prefer to even eat other snakes..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Absolutely no concern at all. But the chickens will make a feast of the snake.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  5. Chickiee

Thank you everyone... one less predator to worry about. :)

6. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I didn't give a think about garter snakes..til i saw the title . i was like: [​IMG] no no no not a predator :D

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It takes a pretty big snake to eat eggs. Newly hatched chicks, if they are a small breed, might be at a slight risk, if it is a big garter snake.

Garter snakes around here are pretty small. Unless they misbehave, they are welcome to hang around and eat the baby mice and whatever bugs have escaped from the ducks.

8. Chickiee

Thanks everyone for the input! I'm not going to worry about the garter snake. Although if we don't see it again, I guess we will know what happened to it. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by