1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Button Quail Loud?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ra, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    I have the Coturnix type now and I like the quiet sounds they make! I saw some videos on youtube and they sound really loud? Is it just the volume on the video or are they really that much louder? Any info would be great!
    Have a blessed day!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Nope They Are Not As Loud As Coturnix Roosters

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Nope .. mine aren't loud. Sometimes in the early mornings when I go to feed them I'll start whistling to them and they all will start talking back to their momma but hardly ever!

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you think coturnix are quiet you won't even hear the buttons!

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Especially the two in my basement...

The one in my garage is a quiet little thing. He squawks a couple of times in the morning, and maybe once or twice in the afternoon. Otherwise, he never crows. Boy did those young'uns surprise me with their noise. Dunno why it surprised me, though. I should've known -- adolescent males & all that. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  6. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Adding:

When the button quail were in the garage, I could hear the boys all the way into the Master Bedroom on the opposite end of the house. It didn't bother me, but it might bother some folks who are sensitive to such things.

7. ra

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    I am a true byc and don't want to piss off my neighbors.[​IMG] The quail I have are neat beacause they just sound like wild birds! Maybe I will look for a pair if you all think they would work! I have had chickens for a year with no problems. No roos of course. Thanks for the info! I think those blue ones are pretty!
    Now where to get a few hatchin eggs!

8. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:That is one good thing about the button quail! Neighbors won't know what they are & will just think some new kind of songbird moved into the area. [​IMG]

Now, a coturnix boy? nope....not a chance!

9. ra

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    I have those and haven't had any problems? I like the way they sound. My close ones know I have them but they don't seem to care. [​IMG] I just try to keep them clean and don't have too many!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Contact quailladyoffortmeyes for Button Quail hatching eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by