Are Campbells just skidish?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dadof4, Apr 3, 2009.

1. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    From day one they have been. I have 10 and I don't know if that has much to do with it, but I swear I think they wold rather kill themselves than to let you get near them. I was in the feed store today and noticed all the other baby ducks came right up to the brooder and nibbled your finger. Then I get home and see mine-running. I don't spend a whole lot of time with them but I mean I feed them twice a day and water them what seems like a hundred times a day so they see people. Ungreatfull fowl. Just wondering.

2. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I have 5 Khakis and skiddish is just the word I would use!! I just inherited a pekin and a mallard yesterday and they are super friendly. They like to be held, petted, anything you want to do to them. I am wondering if it matters if they are raised more in a pack or just one or two. Seems all those that are more tame are singles or doubles.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    As long as they keep laying those tasty eggs, they can act any way they want!

4. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    That's what I am waiting on.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't know about other duck breeds, but my Khakis are very self-sufficient, spending their days roaming the yard finding things for them to eat. I don't know what they're finding, sometimes they'll be drilling their bills in what seems to be plain dirt, like in a planter pot, and gobbling up SOMEthing tasty. I have 1 drake & 4 hens, and they stay more or less together throughout the day. I have to shoo them into their duck house at night, to keep them safe from overnight predators, and that's when & where they lay their eggs.

I have 4 more ducklings, children of my adult ducks, who are just as wary. I guess I could try to endear myself more by spending time handing them treats. But I don't want to stuff them with bread that they really don't need.

I'm content with things the way they are. We all talk nicely to our ducks whenever we're near, they know we're not a threat, and occasionally we'll have a treat for them. I'd rather they maintain their independence & good survival skills than act like retriever puppies who come running whenever they see me...

...and keep laying those deeeeeeeeelicious eggs!

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Khaki's are skittish. Runner's are worse. Even the pure bred khaki I hatched out from an egg acts like he is being murdered when I pick him up. What a goober! LOL

I think next time I get ducks I am going to get Welsh Harlequins. They lay eggs like khakis but they are supposed to be much more mellow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by