Are cats a major predator?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gossie, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Gossie

Gossie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    So I was walking down to the chicken coop, and I saw a black cat with green eyes 10 feet away from the run. Will it hurt my chickens?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    How big are your chickens? Sometimes cats might attack bantams, but we have 2 cats and never had a problem.

3. Gossie

Gossie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    My chickens are mostly bigger chickens, but I do have 3 silkie bantams.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry about it, unless the cat(s) are unusually interested in your birds. The larger chickens should scare the cat away from doing any attack. A cat won't attack a predator that is larger than it is.

5. Steve J

Steve J Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    Ky.
    I remember when I was a kid of about 12, we had a few chickens in a pen not far from the house. I woke one morning and heard a lot of noise coming from the pen. Grabbed the 12 gauge shotgun and took off, When I got there a thin grey cat was attacking a chicken,seeing me it jumped up into a overhanging tree. I blasted it in half with the shotgun. So, yes cats will attack full grown chickens if they are hungry enough.

6. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Now that's what I call pest control.

A dog will usually keep a cat from coming near a coop. My great pyrenees dog once cornered a cat that jumped into our yard and and scared it so bad that when it succeeded in jumping around my dog it ran like crazy and then climbed (clawed) over the hoop barn in the corner of the yard and escaped. It hasn't come within a hundred yards of the chicken coop since.

7. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    I have lost three hens(possibly four) total to stray/feral and neighbors cats. We nearly lost two more but we chased the cats down and got the hens back. They were full grown hens i still have some cats theat come around and our cats attack them and protect the hens. Some cats are good with chickens and others are not just depends on the cat.

8. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Will cats carry away a chicken? I'm missing a 6 yr old barred rock.

9. Steve J

Steve J Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    Ky.
    Be proactive and live trap them, I've caught 11 since July 80 feet from my chickens.

10. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    But do cats carry them away? I have trapped through the years but never when I had chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by