Are cats a threat?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LindsayB, Jul 11, 2010.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    We have 2 female cats that have been hanging out in the woods behind our house and coming up on our porch. I'm pretty sure someone dumped them at our house, they are very friendly. We live in a neighborhood and our house is in the back next to a dead end. Our 2 dogs usually chase them off every time they go outside. Are they going to be a problem when I let my chickens out of the run? My chickens are bigger than the cats but I'm still kind of worried.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    We have upwards of 10 farm cats plus our house cats that come and go. We have never had a problem. It is funny to watch the chickens chase them away from their treats. I used to have 2 kittens that insisted on living in the coop, they curl up in the nesting boxes as soon as the chickens went to bed. So I would say, no you shouldn't have any problems.

3. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I wouldn't mind keeping them around and having them take care of rats and mice for us. But our dogs want nothing to do with them.

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    We have 2 dogs. I don't understand it, but there are a few cats that they just leave alone. Then are others that you only see if the dogs are in the house [​IMG] It is nice having the cats on mice patrol. Before I moved in and brought my cat's, my husband had mice in his camper, house, every out building and every vehicle out here. Now if I see them they are dead in the kitty barn. Mine also kill baby gophers, bonus!

5. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I've lost approx 30 to cats. Now dead cats. Shot one in the process of leaping on my goose. If it had been daytime goose would have kicked some serious cat butt. But in the dark they are virtually blind.
    There is an added benefit to getting rid of all the feral/strays/loose cats. I now have song birds, and the rabbits have returned. Cats were killing all of them.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I've had a dozen or so cats (including a couple of big neutered Toms) since keeping chickens, most of which, at one point or another had access to the flock. Aside from one incident when a cat got into the area with several new chicks, I've never had a cat bother a feathered bird. Also there are a few feral cats that wander through here from time to time and they don't seem to cause problems with the chickens--our resident cats, on the other hand have territorial fits. However, cats come in all sizes and I suppose there are a few of the really big ones that could, if the opportunity arose, nail a pullet or small adult. It hasn't happened to me but I'm sure that there is someone on here that will have a different story--remember too there are some people who, for whatever reason, just don't trust cats, period. If your cat friends are big, I'd keep an eye on them and/or live trap them and take to the nearest shelter.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  7. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    they are very small. I'd say maybe only a year old. One is very skinny and the other looks like she might be pregnant. I want to feed them alittle bit but I'm worried about them getting used to our backyard and then one of our dogs getting them. any tips on getting dogs to like cats? lol I know its kind of off subject.

8. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    My cats and the feral ones I feed leave the chickens and chicks alone BUT the neighbors crazy cat jumped on my Buff Brahma Roo and damaged his back so badly the neighbor (cat owner) had to put him down for me.
    After that he told me to get after his cat if I saw him stalking the chickens. I do and he has almost given up plus my dogs will stop him as well.
    The other day I saw three big hens had the crazy cat trapped in a corner, needless to say the cat is tramatized now, GOOD [​IMG]

9. roskoeheat

roskoeheat New Egg

Jul 11, 2010
    i sometimes let my flock out in the day when im around, there was two instances with cats bolh times i was able to watch over as the the cat stalked his way in close about ten feet away from a smaller gold barred wy. ( bolh times same chicken) then the flock noticed the cat four of the six ran up to the cat and squared up with him... that cat freaked he froze for a few seconds and then leaped like a kangaroo four feet in the air and took off over the fence... befor i got my coop that was the cats hangout...i dont mind i have my own cats...but he never came back after that day.. he hangs out a few houses down now. i seemed to have done the impossable a house mate brought home a one eyed taco bell dog, i am not a dog person but this little guy was like four weeks and already had alot to deal with so i took him out and *trained* him not to attack the chickens! it took two weeks but now he just sits and watches or just dosent even pay attention to them. i guess its possable maybe just because he is so young.

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Quick answer: Depends on the dog and if it is brought up with cats. Our Springer (RIP) used to love our cats, slept and played with them but if a stray came into the yard she chased them away. BTW, if that stray cat is a female 99.9% chance of her being pregnant--if not today, then tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by