Are chicken breeds capitalized?

Scooter&Suzie

Songster
9 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Sometimes I see them capitalized, but more times not. I guess it would be the same as dog, or horse, breeds. Does anyone know? I tried to look it up, and it looks like some would, but others might not, depending if a country, or city/state, is in it's name.
Kinda like French fries
roll.png

Rhode Island red (capitalized because name of a state)

silkie (not capitalized because it is not a city, state, or country)

So... What do you think???

I think they should be capitalized. Makes for easier reading. I noticed someone wrote rhode island reds. Rhode Island is the name of a state so must be capitalized. It is all inconsistent and it seems both ways are acceptable, so I say capitalize the breed names. That way it is clear that this is a breed you are talking about. Not just a jungle fowl that happens to be grey, as opposed to a jungle fowl that happens to be red - it should be Red Jungle Fowl and Grey Jungle Fowl. I will capitalize and it will not be incorrect.

I guess in theory, the names should be capitalised to denote a name of an organism - just as they would if they were not breeds but a species (and yes, i know, only the first name would begin with an upper case letter, and the subsequent name lower case AND in italics before anyone pedantically chimes in).

I guess we can all be a bit lazy at times, and thats why there seems to be inconsistencies IMO.

CT

Back
Top Bottom