Are chicken tractors predator proof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kataloo, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Kataloo

Kataloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    Hi
    I live in a rural community and by an open field. I am worried that a chicken tractor wouldn't be predator proof. I know there are skunks, mink, weasels, racoons and other animals in the area. Couldn't they get into the run at night or even the day? I would rather have a permanent coop and run but my husband doesn't want to run an electrical cord out to the coop in winter to heat up the water. During warm weather, I have a perfect location about 30 yards from the house. During winter we would keep it next to the garage and only have to run the electrical cord a short way. This would also offer more protection from the the winter winds.
    Two questions:
    1- How safe for the chickens are tractors?
    2- Has anyone figured out a way to keep water from freezing in sub-zero weather without running power from the house?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

1 person likes this.
  3. Kataloo

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    These prices are way more than I want to spend, but gives me some ideas on making my own. Thanks!

4. Alex41

Alex41 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Eastern PA
    I have been asking myself that question too. Chicken runs should have 12" of buried hardware cloth around their perimeter to deter predators. This is obviously impossible for a chicken tractor. I can see setting a few heavy blocks on the frame to weigh it down, obviously with the blocks being removed while moving the tractor.

Blocks won't keep predators from digging under the chicken tractor walls.

Predators don't dig under chicken tractors?

Anyone have input on their chicken tractor experiences and keeping predators out?

Thanks,
    Alex

1 person likes this.
  5. Kataloo

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    Since posting I have read about wire aprons that can attach to a tractor. This seems like it would really help keep out the predators, but make it more awkward to move. I think I will do the permanent run.

6. Alaskan

If you look at the Omlet website they have a run that they say is predator proof. They use a wire skirt.

Again, super expensive, but I love looking at them.

7. Alaskan

8. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Unless it has a floor or apron, it won't be predator proof. Also beware if the wire used is larger than 1/2" x 1/2", coons especially will pull parts of the chickens through the wire, uck.

9. littlebigchicken

littlebigchicken New Egg

May 6, 2009
    I'm wondering the same thing. Could you put a wire floor on it that has holes big enough for the chickens to access the ground, but too small for a critter to get through? Just throwing out ideas. No personal experience, except with my birds getting taken by raccoons :( I'd like to avoid that this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by