Are chickens afraid of heights?

Ernie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm putting the finishing touches on my coop and the door from the elevated house to the attached run is about 4' off the ground. I'll be building a ramp for them, but I'm hoping it's not too high for my silkies. Should I do one straight run, or have a landing to make a switchback? Will I need to install an elevator?
big_smile.png

With what my girls do, I think that chickens are NOT afraid of heights
smile.png

However, from what I hear, silkies can be a titch unpredictable
hmm.png
so mabe better to be safe than sorry. Or you could just try them out by putting a perch in your brooder at 4'' high - - I'm assuming they're chicks at the moment?

Last edited:
Oh, go for the elevator!
lau.gif

And please post pictures.
Sorry, I have nothing useful to add, I'm new to chickens too. Mine are just 2 1/2 weeks old.
I have a 1 x 2 in the brooder that they can hop up on. So far only the larger ones do. I have a silkie but it hasn't tried the roost yet as far as I've seen.

Quote:
It's getting down that may be in question - - do they nosedive like my girls?
Sorry 'bout this being off topic
hide.gif

Last edited:
Silkies can't fly, can they? I thought they lacked barbs/barbules on their feathers.

4 feet would not be anything for a flighted bird; not sure about one that can't fly, though.

Thanks everybody, I guess I'm just worried about the silkies tumbling down the ramp from that height. I think I'm going to make it extra wide and not very steep to make sure they can make it up AND down without any problems. I'm thinking of putting up a guard rail to help them out as well
smile.png
I'm sure our EE won't have any problems with it regardless.

Back
Top Bottom