Are chickens afraid of heights?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ernie, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Ernie

Ernie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I'm putting the finishing touches on my coop and the door from the elevated house to the attached run is about 4' off the ground. I'll be building a ramp for them, but I'm hoping it's not too high for my silkies. Should I do one straight run, or have a landing to make a switchback? Will I need to install an elevator? [​IMG]

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    With what my girls do, I think that chickens are NOT afraid of heights [​IMG]
    However, from what I hear, silkies can be a titch unpredictable [​IMG] so mabe better to be safe than sorry. Or you could just try them out by putting a perch in your brooder at 4'' high - - I'm assuming they're chicks at the moment?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  3. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Oh, go for the elevator! [​IMG]
    And please post pictures.
    Sorry, I have nothing useful to add, I'm new to chickens too. Mine are just 2 1/2 weeks old.
    I have a 1 x 2 in the brooder that they can hop up on. So far only the larger ones do. I have a silkie but it hasn't tried the roost yet as far as I've seen.

4. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Umm... I don't think so, my EE hens enjoy flying up and roosting on top of their chicken house... its probably about 15ft tall.

5. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Quote:It's getting down that may be in question - - do they nosedive like my girls?
    Sorry 'bout this being off topic [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Silkies can't fly, can they? I thought they lacked barbs/barbules on their feathers.

4 feet would not be anything for a flighted bird; not sure about one that can't fly, though.

7. Ernie

Ernie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks everybody, I guess I'm just worried about the silkies tumbling down the ramp from that height. I think I'm going to make it extra wide and not very steep to make sure they can make it up AND down without any problems. I'm thinking of putting up a guard rail to help them out as well [​IMG] I'm sure our EE won't have any problems with it regardless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by