1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Chickens Cliquey?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by domromer, Jul 13, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    I started off with 4 chicks, two barred rocks and two speckled Sussex. It turned out that one of my S.S. was a rooster so he had to go. Now I seem to have a chicken clique. My barred rocks are always hanging out together, taking dust baths, fighting over worms,..ect. While the speckled Sussex seems to always be on her own. Is it just a coincidence, or do the breeds recognize and prefer their own kind. I hope Tasmin the Speckled Sussex isn't lonely. Maybe she will make friends with my new Buff Orphingtons.

It could also be personalities. The Barred rocks are very much homebodies. Lots of nesting among the bushes and general laziness. While The S.S. Is very bold. Always checking out different parts of the yard. Trying to get on the roofs. Chasing my moms Chihuahuas.

Anyone else see this in their chicks?

2. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Hmmm I have noticed that sort of thing, but I figured it was more that certain birds (including my Speckled Sussexes) are more independent than others (including my Barred Rock) rather than some birds rejecting others and being cliquey. Though that might be true too. When I let the chicks free range, the SS are usually the last to come in: they're out exploring.

Some birds -- like my Delawares -- really HATE to be cut off from the group, but my Partridge Rocks and SS don't care so much.

Wouldn't it be fun to take a class in Chicken Psychology?? Actually that's kind of what reading BYC is! [​IMG]

3. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I've also noticed this. My 2 Wyandottes always stay togather and my Barred Rock a Brown Leghorn always seem to hang out togather. Some chickens are more independent than others, I wouldn't worry about your Speckled Sussex.

4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Well I think mine are cliquey. My buffs hang around each other - two barred rocks are pretty much inseparatable - same with my three austrolorps. The ameracauna's kind of hang with the buffs, but I have one white ameracauna and she's either with the barred rocks or by herself. I recently purchased 4 white cochins and have them separated with a fence for awhile. My white ameracauna has flown in there twice just to hang with them. She also lays down in front of their entrance pretty much all day. I'm pretty sure it's because they are white. Chickens are definately not color blind!

5. biretta

biretta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2007
    I've actually had a different experience. I have a black australorp, 2 RIR, 2 americaunas. The australorp is the alpha hen, while one of the RIR seems to be the omega and often is out there doing her own thing. She's actually the most tame of the bunch, as when the others might be running from me, she'll run towards me! The americaunas don't seem to express any preference towards each other either over the other chickens.

6. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I have wondered the same thing I have a mixed group (see signature).. I had 3 barred rocks. One the dog killed one and one just up and died a fews after that and now my one rock is always by herself. I even try to get her to go with the flock when they are out free ranging but no go. I am wondering if I should get another barred rock for to buddy with. [​IMG]

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Mine do the same, the two red hens RLS and RIR hang together and the two EEs, both mostly golden hang together. I call it chicken racism, but they seem to know who looks like them and who does not. Must be where the phrase "birds of a feather stick together" came from. The RIR is the boss and the biggest, an EE, is the lowest. Boss Chick alsways comes running when I go out, but the other three are right behind her. But when they are wandering in the yard it is always two and two.

8. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Quote:Welcome class, I am Professor Wyandotte this is my associate Professor Leghorn. Welcome to Psychology of Poultry 101.
    We will begin by studying Cliques in the Hen house.
    Please read the first three chapters of Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.
    Also in your Stromburg workbook please read the first chapter on Why Jersey Giants and Rhode Island Reds Can't Get Along.
    Some of the other topics we will cover this semester include:
    a. Why the early bird gets the worm
    b. The difference between scratch and scratch
    c. The Pecking Order and How to find your rightful place in the flock.
    d. Ruffling Feathers in the Flock
    e. Colonel Sanders Reign of Terror

Have a good day and we will see you on Wednesday.

9. Citychick

Citychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Snicker! [​IMG]

10. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Quote:Welcome class, I am Professor Wyandotte this is my associate Professor Leghorn. Welcome to Psychology of Poultry 101.
    We will begin by studying Cliques in the Hen house.
    Please read the first three chapters of Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.
    Also in your Stromburg workbook please read the first chapter on Why Jersey Giants and Rhode Island Reds Can't Get Along.
    Some of the other topics we will cover this semester include:
    a. Why the early bird gets the worm
    b. The difference between scratch and scratch
    c. The Pecking Order and How to find your rightful place in the flock.
    d. Ruffling Feathers in the Flock
    e. Colonel Sanders Reign of Terror

Have a good day and we will see you on Wednesday.

Too funny!![​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by