1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are chickens considered livestock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sfisher, Mar 16, 2008.

1. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    Just heard today that, the bylaws of my neighberhood, dont allow livestock. I wonder if fowl is considered livestock. What do you think?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    unfortunatly yes.but tell the cops and neighbors they are large fluffy parrots lol

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Yes.

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    nope rabbits and chickens are poultry here. we fought our town ordinances and they have to allow us 12 layers in town and had to get a poultry permit. by law with the ordinace already in place legally they couldn't deny us but they sure did put the limits on it to go with it. took alot to do it but they couldn't deny us for food to feed our family.

of course my neighbers caused us so much grief i raise them outside of town at a friends now. if u use they r for pets they can and will deny it and make u get rid of them. check see if there is any ordinaces for chickens and fowls. i was lucky mine already had one in place but some places don't. i only had to fight half the battle on mine.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It depends on where you live. Some places exclude a few hens in the livestock description, some make no exceptions. You'll have to find out the definition in your bylaws of just what livestock is. It should be spelled out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by